Snobby Homebrew Supply Shop Owner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a tough business, no doubt.

They'd do well to remember that, for the most part, the only competitive advantage they have is that people feel good when they come to (and more importantly, leave) the shop.

Can't compete on price or product, tough to compete on convenience...they only win with service. Even if they have little advice to offer, even asking what I'm brewing and saying "wow, sounds great" makes me enjoy going to the store.

Vendors read these forums, which is why I'm repeating what's already been stated. LHBS owners - be nice to us! Make us feel good when we come to the store and we'll keep coming back! One bad experience is enough to keep us away.

I brewed the raspberry wheat to try and clone a beer that is from a chain of microbreweries where the Mrs. is from. I ended up drinking about 3/4s of the batch. Cause its so delicious :) So if that makes me gay I'm out of the closet.
It kind of reminded me of being a kid again. When I would go into the comic book stores and I wasn't nerdy enough to get any attention. (Not to say I'm not nerdy or geeky)

Unfortunately many HBSs suck in the customer service department. I have a buddy who I've been teaching how to brew. He was going to be traveling through the town an hour south where our "LHBS" is located. We needed some supplies, and I was trying to help get him set up with some of his own equipment, so I sent him down there with a LIST.

The kid at the HBS was such an EAC he actually overpowered my buddy into purchasing different items from what I had told him to get - he questioned his purchases, made him feel stupid about what he was getting, and sent him home with crap that WE DID NOT NEED! I was ticked!

It's really unfortunate that this kind of stuff happens. I'd be pretty pissed if I spent all that money on fuel driving there just to get treated like that. There is absolutely no excuse for it. I'm very lucky to have such a good LHBS to go to down in Chico.

That sucks. Thankfully the guys at my LHBS are great people and they go out of their way to help you. Even if they're busy packaging DME or unloading grain they'll stop what they're doing in order to help you out. I feel bad for you guys who have bad experiences especially when you have to drive 3 hours to get to a HBS.

I personally drive PAST 2 stores (20 miles past the 2nd one) due to poor customer service. Vote with your $, it's one of the only true votes that you have.

You know what? I'd probably be treating even worse than you were. I've been into TWO homebrew stores, ever, where I was treated well.

I've gone into a number of homebrew stores, throughout the country as I travel a bit. And I've been ignored, and sometimes been talked down to if spoken to at all.

I've had 20-somethings say to me, "Hey little lady, are you interested in learning to make beer?" as I've walked through aisles, but most often I'm completely ignored.

My answer to that question, if asked, is something like, "Oh, no. I'm not interested in a beginner's kit, thanks."

A minute later: "I was just looking for a small burner for my secondary MLT, so I could upgrade my 1/2 barrel all-electric indoor HERMS because it's hard to do a triple decoction with the vessels I have." Then leave. :D

I actually DID walk out without a thing in in Akron's "Grape and Granary". I went in with my dad who went for the road trip with me to visit Hoppin' Frog Brewery. Three clerks fell over my dad, but ignored me totally. When my dad pointed to me and said, "I'm with her, she is looking for something", one did approach me and ask if he could help. I said I needed some carastan as well as some base grain and he pointed at the room in general and said their bins of grain were "all over". And they were- but in no sort of order and I didn't feel like spending an hour looking for a pound or two of crystal malt. And no way was I going to purchase the sacks I had planned.

I said, well, then, I need a pH meter. He sort of rolled his eyes and went behind the counter and grabbed one from the shelf behind put it down on the counter. When I asked the accuracy of it, he had to go ask, and the second guy was pretty condescending to me.

So I left. It happens all the time!

Northern Brewer treated me well, and so did Midwest Brewing Supplies. I spend over $500 on each of those walk-in trips, though, so maybe it's better to be ignored! :D

Exactly. Customer service will easily make or break a small business, as well it should. Vote with your dollars. I'm all about giving a guy a second chance, if he wasn't an outright ****** and if there's any chance at all that he was just trying to make a (lame) joke. Some folks have trouble with social skills or get nervous with first impressions, but out-and-out rudeness or sexism gets no second chance.

I get tired of the sexist crap really quickly these days. I fight it all the time with the whole motorcycling crowd and it wears me thinner and thinner every year. (no, I don't want a "small bike" that I can "hold up" or "handle". And I don't want pink gear priced 1.5x what the guys pay for the same. Thanks.) When I lived in Dayton, a local shop with a large online presence lost me as a customer forever because of one really snide dude with a chip on his shoulder. It continues to be unfortunate...I buy several motorcycle tires a year, not to mention I like to update gear/helmets frequently...and I keep scrolling past their Google ads to other vendors. Sucks for them. They lose.

I haven't been in a LHBS in 15 years. Before the guys at the store were super helpful and knowledgeable. They were always itching to show off a new gadget or recommend some seasonal ingrediant. Now I live 3 hours from my LHBS I walked in for the first time today. I Mainly wanted a drilled stopper for my starter flask and a lb or two of DME. I also am planning my next couple of brews which I think will be another raspberry wheat and an IPA.

So I tell the store owner I have some efficiency issues. (Which is why I need the DME) And I'm curious if he can mill grain fine for me. I also tell him I just brewed a raspberry wheat (I wanted to ask about his flavor extract) I get side tracked and ask about IPA recipes he had and points to a book. Anyway the book is kinda of a pain to go through so I say I think ill pass on the kit. He then tells yeah thanks for coming in and telling me about the beers you didnt buy from me. I guess I felt bad about talking to him I paid for my DME and some Carb drops and left forgetting my stopper.
I now am mad because he didn't offer any suggestions and he made be feel like I was pulling him away from his conversation at the bar. Bad customer service I don't think ill go back. I guess he just opened a HBS to hang out with his friends.

Edit this to be a liitle more generic (to preserve your annonymity) & mail it to the offending LHBS. It'll give 'em something to think about & serve as a training tool for current & future a$$holes who may end up working there.

Evere hear the phrase "The customer is always right?" Well, there you are, the customer. You know, I might be a bit "old fashioned," but I find it rather unprofessional, not to mention a bit irritating, when store personnell don't call me "sir."

So I think they should be informed of their mistake (and it IS their mistake) and I think they should be reminded that YOU (albeit generically) are their bread & butter, so they had best unfvck themselves & do biz, lest you (and everybody you know) take your biz elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth (ok, maybe a nickels worth).
Regards, GF.
:mug:

Really? I always expect my father to be standing behind me when someone calls me "sir". Lol. I just insist on helpful and non sarcastic, so I dont get upset if I'm referred to as "my friend" "buddy" "bro" or "my brother" (you get that a lot around here). Personal preference.

However, everything else I agree 100%. If you are thinking of never shopping there again, they should know and they know why.

Edit this to be a liitle more generic (to preserve your annonymity) & mail it to the offending LHBS. It'll give 'em something to think about & serve as a training tool for current & future a$$holes who may end up working there.

Evere hear the phrase "The customer is always right?" Well, there you are, the customer. You know, I might be a bit "old fashioned," but I find it rather unprofessional, not to mention a bit irritating, when store personnell don't call me "sir."

So I think they should be informed of their mistake (and it IS their mistake) and I think they should be reminded that YOU (albeit generically) are their bread & butter, so they had best unfvck themselves & do biz, lest you (and everybody you know) take your biz elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth (ok, maybe a nickels worth).
Regards, GF.
:mug:

You know what? I'd probably be treating even worse than you were. I've been into TWO homebrew stores, ever, where I was treated well.

I've gone into a number of homebrew stores, throughout the country as I travel a bit. And I've been ignored, and sometimes been talked down to if spoken to at all.

I've had 20-somethings say to me, "Hey little lady, are you interested in learning to make beer?" as I've walked through aisles, but most often I'm completely ignored.

My answer to that question, if asked, is something like, "Oh, no. I'm not interested in a beginner's kit, thanks."

A minute later: "I was just looking for a small burner for my secondary MLT, so I could upgrade my 1/2 barrel all-electric indoor HERMS because it's hard to do a triple decoction with the vessels I have." Then leave. :D

I actually DID walk out without a thing in in Akron's "Grape and Granary". I went in with my dad who went for the road trip with me to visit Hoppin' Frog Brewery. Three clerks fell over my dad, but ignored me totally. When my dad pointed to me and said, "I'm with her, she is looking for something", one did approach me and ask if he could help. I said I needed some carastan as well as some base grain and he pointed at the room in general and said their bins of grain were "all over". And they were- but in no sort of order and I didn't feel like spending an hour looking for a pound or two of crystal malt. And no way was I going to purchase the sacks I had planned.

I said, well, then, I need a pH meter. He sort of rolled his eyes and went behind the counter and grabbed one from the shelf behind put it down on the counter. When I asked the accuracy of it, he had to go ask, and the second guy was pretty condescending to me.

Northern Brewer treated me well, and so did Midwest Brewing Supplies. I spend over $500 on each of those walk-in trips, though, so maybe it's better to be ignored! :D

Good lord the way you were treated at those 2 places is truly SHAMEFULl!!! I don't know what the hell is wrong with people these days. They don't call me "sir" (or you 'mam'), they're condescending towards women, who actually (according to census figures) have MORE DISPOSABLE INCOME than men, and would (seemingly) rather pass on turning a profit from YOUR biz, would presumably court the biz of males.

OK, a litle biz parallel here: If the gun industry has been able to figure out that women are a viable market demographic & have not only begun to appeal to that market, but have been doing so for over a DECADE, you'd think that an LHBS would be able to take a cue from those big, tough guys who manufacture guns & treat women like they would treat ANY other homebrewer.

You know, it's morons like that that give the rest of maledom (is that even a word?) a bad reputation. Well, OK, them & those idiots who have zero budoir skillz & a tiny pkg. :p :D
No offense intended.

I've benefitted from your brewing experience many times Yoop (you don't know it, but I have), I think you're a valuable asset not only for me, but for (potentially) every member of this forum... And NOT just for the racy avatar either. :D

OK, I've prattled on long enough, time to refill my tasty libation & settle into my own personal little groove.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
those idiots who have zero budoir skillz & a tiny pkg.

Yep, there's nothing Yooper hates more than when she goes to a HBS and the guy at the counter has a tiny package :drunk:

Maybe I've just been living in New York for too long, but I just get so confused when I hear the sexism stories. I supposed I would be surprised if I was working at Al's Jockstrap Emporium and Yoop walked in, but even then, if she's willing to buy one of my fine jockstraps what would I care? Something like brewing beer where there are no gender variables whatsoever I dont know why there would even be surprise, let alone rudeness.

There actually is some sexism. Car shopping can be ridiculous, unless you impress the sales guy with your mad driving skillz. When we have visitors at home, they all ask HWMC about the meat smoker, but he's got no clue how to use it. The kegerator must also be his.

My first visit to LHBS was with my friend and I kinda got the feeling they thought we were gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they were helpful and now ask about my brewing and offer suggestions when I stop in. Good service, respect, and advice will keep your customers coming back and your store in business.

I'm a slender-built man with a nasal voice living in Astoria... people just assume I'm gay until they meet SWMBO. Used to bother me but now I shrug it off.

I guess my point, though, is even if the shop owner incorrectly assumes you are buying something for your husband, you potentially have a wallet with money in it. Money that he wants to exchange for his goods. Not giving you proper service would just be straight up stupid, not just morally wrong.
There actually is some sexism. Car shopping can be ridiculous, unless you impress the sales guy with your mad driving skillz. When we have visitors at home, they all ask HWMC about the meat smoker, but he's got no clue how to use it. The kegerator must also be his.

My first visit to LHBS was with my friend and I kinda got the feeling they thought we were gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they were helpful and now ask about my brewing and offer suggestions when I stop in. Good service, respect, and advice will keep your customers coming back and your store in business.

I'm a slender-built man with a nasal voice living in Astoria... people just assume I'm gay until they meet SWMBO. Used to bother me but now I shrug it off.

I guess my point, though, is even if the shop owner incorrectly assumes you are buying something for your husband, you potentially have a wallet with money in it. Money that he wants to exchange for his goods. Not giving you proper service would just be straight up stupid, not just morally wrong.

This actually ties in with my thread about servers assuming I wouldnt like something at a restaurant and trying to dissuade me from ordering it. If, instead of being a giant jackhole the shop owner instead tried to sell Yooper or yourself a kit to make a "girly" beer that has historically been popular with female patrons, I'd say eye-rolling is in order but at least he was trying to be helpful.

Sorry for the weird double post.

... in Akron's "Grape and Granary". I went in with my dad who went for the road trip with me to visit Hoppin' Frog Brewery. Three clerks fell over my dad, but ignored me totally. When my dad pointed to me and said, "I'm with her, she is looking for something"... :D

hey 'Yoop - I have four daughters (one of whom likes to go on beer adventures with me) but I'd still love to head out with you and Dad to explore someplace new and talk beer!

I've had similar experiences, but that was in the realm of computer parts. Walked into a store with my dad as he was going to pay for the new (emergency) motherboard for an early Christmas gift. I knew my specs, what I needed for my machine. The sales guy wouldn't even look at me, kept speaking to my dad the whole time. My dad pointed to me and said I was the one that was buying... still nothing. I turned heel and left.

On a positive note, if you're down from the UP just north of Detroit, my LHBS is crazy friendly. They've answered every question I've ever had, more than willing to let me talk their ear off and when I walk in with my guy, they don't automatically assume he's the one buying.

On the flip side. I went into homebrew party the other day. Picked up a sack of pale malt and a couple other odds and ends. Bryon has to be the coolest lhbs clerks I've ever talked too. He is a ex radio DJ and knows a ton about homebrew. We sampled an 80 schilling Scotch ale I did. I thought he was the owner by how much attention he showed me. Awesome store i'll be back for sure.

Back