Noob error with extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdtriumph

Reaction score
Hi All, first post here. Have only brewed one batch (thats still in primary) and I am addicted!

Anyways, I bought a Maple Beer extract kit not realizing that its a lager. I dont have the equipment to keep everything cool enough. My question is what happens if I use an Ale yeast for this kit? Problems? Any other solutions? Suggestions?

Thanks for all the information here, its a great site!

Eh...

It might not be too bad. Brewing lagers at ale temps is what gave us Anchor Steam ya know. Let us know how it comes out.

Focus

I'd use an ale yeast. Probably Nottingham's for $2 you can't go wrong. Then you just don't have to worry about it. The books say if you can't keep lagers cold to ferment it is no big deal, but I would think you might be a little bummed at the off flavors in your first batch. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi again, well after reading the instructions, it says its not a lager, but rather an original recipe that isnt "traditional". It comes with a package of dry Saflager S-23 lager yeast with a temp range of 51-75F (ideally 51-59F).

My homebrew "mentor" thinks this might be ok in my basement (approx 62F or so). Looking for confirmation or ideas.

Thanks again!

You could do it in your basement- especially if you set up a swamp cooler. I have an igloo cooler that I made a new top for (didn't want to cut the top) and used that for a redneck lagerator. (There are not-so-good pictures in my gallery).

Fermenting beer usually gets a few degrees higher than ambient temperature- so if your basement is say, 65, then the beer could be 70 degrees or more. Probably not a problem, but a cooler with water in it and a towel or T-shirt over the carboy to wick up the water and a fan blowing on it would get it much cooler.

Back