all grain shopping list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do some of you plan out an order for bulk grain? Do you line up a few beers you plan to brew and order for a several brew days at once?

I'm looking at working toward all grain, and wondered if there were any tips to keeping extra grain, and if it would be okay premilled for a week or so.

For base malt, I just looked at how much I use per batch and went in on the group buy for enough to cover me for a while.

For other grains, I'm working on building up an inventory of what I use most. That way, I can grab some, mill it, and brew. :D

I would advise getting a grain mill/crusher as soon as you can (especially once you go all grain). If you're getting the grain already milled, I would only get enough for a few batches at a time... So, if you usually use 1/2# of something, get 1-2# of it. Unmilled grain will keep longer than milled grain. You'll want to seal up the milled grain as best you can.

Most places ship milled grain in sealed bags, to help keep it fresh.

You might want to invest in a vacuum packer, if you don't already have one.

you can keep grain in the freezer for a long time. if not the freezer a cool, dark place and a sealed container will do the trick too.

Back