Georgia Wild Brewery in the South East

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deewilliam17

Reaction score
What's up HBT! I am currently working on the business plan to open a brewery in north Georgia that specializes in limbic style and other other wild beers, and I wanted to know who would like to see this become a reality? Don't think about feasibility or anything like that. What I need to know is will there be enough demand. The brewery would use the same techniques as Cantillon and other lambic produces. We will use a turbid mash, a coolship, and ferment in oak barrels from the local wineries. The main beers would be a gueuze, kriek, and framboise. If there is enough demand, we'd be open within the next 5 years, distributing to the entire Southeast within 10-15. I guess my big question is, who would like to see something like a Cantillon beer available at the store year round in an affordable price range?
Cheers!

I would. Do you plan on making other beers that have a faster turn over? Something to put cash into the business and operations while the limbic beers mature.

I'd expand to all things sour, since that seems to be the rage lately. I went to Total Wine recently after 6 months without visiting and the number of sour beers available was insane. Have some Berliners, Goses, and farmhouses available as quicker turnover beers while the long term stuff matures. Do some Brett stuff, and use a variety of barrel types. I had a cucumber saison aged in Gin barrels yesterday that would have been boss with a little Brett. The main deterrent from Lambics for me is the cost, and being a North Central Florida resident, if you could cut the price by 10-20% of Lindemann's I'd buy them more frequently in the store. I'd definitely visit in person when driving north. Hell, I'm going to Denver and the only brewery I plan to stop at is Crooked Stave.

I'd expand to all things sour, since that seems to be the rage lately. I went to Total Wine recently after 6 months without visiting and the number of sour beers available was insane. Have some Berliners, Goses, and farmhouses available as quicker turnover beers while the long term stuff matures. Do some Brett stuff, and use a variety of barrel types. I had a cucumber saison aged in Gin barrels yesterday that would have been boss with a little Brett. The main deterrent from Lambics for me is the cost, and being a North Central Florida resident, if you could cut the price by 10-20% of Lindemann's I'd buy them more frequently in the store. I'd definitely visit in person when driving north. Hell, I'm going to Denver and the only brewery I plan to stop at is Crooked Stave.
Highly recommend Former Future as well for some funk.

I would do some preliminary testing on open fermentations at various times during the season in the area of Georgia you are planning. Cantillon is successful for multiple reasons. One of the largest reasons for their success is the naturally occurring airborne microbes in their neck of Belgium. Northern Georgia may not readily produce a palpable open fermented wild beer.

The good news is you can do what breweries like Jester King are doing where you get a house culture and propagate from that. This way, you basically only need to get lucky once and then have much more control on the outcome of your product

Latest posts

Back