Re-use Denny's Fav 50 yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbeerman

Reaction score
So I pitched a starter from some saved Wyeast 1450 into a 1.062 OG IPA over 3 weeks ago at 60 degrees. I had a really long lag time with it sitting at 62 degrees. (Common problem with 1450 I guess.) Anyway, I raised it to 65 and it started fermenting. After two weeks it went to 1.040 so I bumped it to 68 degrees to move it along and swirled it. After three weeks it is 1.034 and still bubbling every 40 seconds or so.

I am going to rack it onto a US-05 yeast cake this weekend to finish it out once I rack that pale ale over to my keg. I've tried this a couple of times and it works great.

I am also brewing this weekend and was wondering if I should use the 1450 yeast cake? Was the yeast just too cold to start and it will never attenuate properly? Should I just throw the yeast out and use something else? I had planned on brewing the Oskar Blues Gordon clone and wanted plenty of yeast for it because the OG should be 1.083.

Latest posts

Back