Last nights inspiration, today's reality.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
I have a cold basement. Cold. I have been dilignet about picking my yeast strains to handle the 53 to 55 degree temps my basement suffers in the winter. Two weeks ago I brewed a double batch with a friend at his place, and we pitched from his starter. I am not sure what the yeast was. The brew perked like mad for 6 days, then stopped. I racked to the secondary, and took a gravity reading. The OG was 1.056. FG was 1.020. Oh Oh. I know immediately that I have a stuck ferment. Wife will leave if any more fermenters show up in the kitchen. (Already full of cases carbonating) I am in the middle of planning on some kind of insulated box with a heat source as I glance at the 22 ft^2 freezer in the corner full of college text books that will never run again because of a freon leak. Light bulb on!

Tonight I made a trip to the storage unit with a load full of books, and bought a small space heater from Menards. My Pale Ale is now bubbling peacefully, along with 4 cases carbonating, in a 64 degree freezer. Wife will be happy in the morning when she sees that the beer cases are gone. Life is good!

Back