AG Chimay Red clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlag

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I brewed an all grain Chimay Red clone 5 weeks ago.

1.081 OG then moved into a secondary at 1.017 10 days later. I used invert sugar to achieve the gravity, not cane or corn.

Sat in secondary for almost 4 weeks.

I bottled today, but took a 1/2 gallon and force carbonated to test.

It tasted REALLY good (like a Belgian ale, ha ha) iimmediately after force carb into the glass, but then started to have green apple flavor and slight aroma as the fizz wore off.

I primed with a combination of DME and dextrose and the test beer was force carbonated after the priming sugar/malt was added.

Questions:

1) Is this flavor normal for a young high gravity or is it contaminated or oxidized?

2) I fermented at ~66 degrees F, should I increase the temperature for conditioning (70) or put it back to 66 F?

Thanks for the help,

John.

First Question The green apple flavor may be acetaldehyde, its a intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others. The presents usually means the beer is too young and needs time to condition.

Second Queston 66 degrees should be fine, some people like to condition a little warmer.
I condition around 70 degrees.

If you enjoy brewing Trappist Styles Beers I would suggest getting the book Brew like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus, Its a great source for Trappist, Abbey and Strong Belgian Ales.

Back