Bottling an extract BB a week early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey homebrewers, I got a late start for brewing a gluten free ale by brewers best extract kit for my father. I wanted it to be finished for christmas but won't be ubless I bottle a week early.
I brewed it on Nov. 18th
What I'm trying to figure out is if I bottled this on dec. 9th would it effect it much?

Is it done fermenting? What's the starting gravity, what's the gravity now and what gravity were you expecting?

1.020 seems high to me, but I've never brewed gluten free before, so I'd say if you like the taste, go ahead and bottle.
Were you working off a recipe that indicated 4% ABV and a F.G of 1.020?
The only concern is that its not really done yet and you'll get bottle bombs or it will get over-carbonated if it goes a lot lower after bottling.

Is it clear?

+1 on the bottle bomb concern!

I think my Brewer's Best kit ended up around 1.011 to 1.014 range but I don't have my notes at hand. This FG range was pretty typical for my sorghum extract batches. I think I would let it go a little longer and risk serving the first few a little under carbonated.

Or fast track a keg system and force carbonate!

Either way, he will be stoked to get a decent gluten free beer. It will probably be better than any GF beer he can buy commercially at the moment.

Agree with Chris, FG should be lower, about 12, depends on yeast , but 20 seems high. You could keg it but bottles might over carbonate and explode. Even if done, my experience with sorghum is it needs some aging to smooth out.

The makers say the OG should be OG: 1.054 - 1.058 (mine was 1.051)
The FG should be FG: 1.015- 1.019 (currently its at 1.020)
The final ABV should be ABV: 4.5% - 5.5% (Mine is at 4.07%) so thats a little low.

here is a link to the Brewers Best Receipt kit i followed HERE

15284082_1328021627217159_9032888720884245492_n.jpg

here is the color of it.

I am assuming the Gluten Free extract will act similarly to any other extract. They very often finish at 1.020. I suspect that it is done and is ready to bottle. For safety take another reading tomorrow. If it is also 1.020 I would go ahead and bottle it.

I also would guess that your wort was not fully mixed and that your OG was really what the kit predicted. So I would use 1.056 as your OG for your ABV calculations.

Your bottling is pretty close to get ready by Christmas. I find that most of mine but not all have good carbonation at 2 weeks, some have taken 3 weeks and a couple longer than that. I felt all of them tasted better with at least 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

You OG was a little low, you FG should be lower. Check the gravity over a few days and if no change then maybe it's done. Did you do a temperature correct when you took the OG?

You OG was a little low, you FG should be lower. Check the gravity over a few days and if no change then maybe it's done. Did you do a temperature correct when you took the OG?

yeah my temp was kept right at 72, so on the higher end but still in the recommended area.

Back