Anyone brewing Octoberfest beers this month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Smoky Boktoberfest as soon as the grains arrive from AHS courtesy of patthebrewer here on HBT. Anyone else?

I'm going to brew a Munich malt smash and save it for our local Oktoberfest next Fall. I hope I can hold off that long.

I'm going to brew a Munich malt smash and save it for our local Oktoberfest next Fall. I hope I can hold off that long.

Nice, which hop are you using?

I'm kegging mine to lager it, and my kegerator just barely fits three kegs, so I almost didn't bother, because I like using that space to carb up a keg. So I compromised and said I would allow myself to try a pint or two once a month only.

German Select hops. Haven't tried them yet but they're suppose to be a noble variety. Plan on just 1 boil addition and keeping it a more malt forward beer.

My spare fridge holds 4 kegs and I plan on doing the same as you. I like to use San Fran lager yeast in the lower 60's then lager in the fridge for a few months.

German brewing is the bane of my existence. No.

NOOOOOOO!!!!:)

Love german beers. Getting ready to get stocked up on lagers for the summer/fall. I have a Helles that is finishing right now.... gonna take the yeast from this and brew an Oktoberfest and Maibock(late I know) this weekend. Then, in about 3-4 weeks when my fermentation chamber is free from these two, I will brew up a Bo-pils and Dortmunder.

Just finishing a D rest on my October fest brew right now. Decided to give Yoopers recipe a try.

i've got a small beer (1.029) fermenting with Wyeast 2035 (american lager). gonna make my first octoberfest with the yeast cake. i'm thinking 40% vienna, 45% pils, 10% munich, and 5% wheat and liberty hops. og in the 1.060s. thoughts?

Had I managed to get my lagerator (fridge + temp controller) built, yep, I would. Sadly, it's been an expensive year and I can't justify the cost. :(

Swamp coolers, foam enclosures and the like have no appeal for me, so it looks like I'll be trying another Okty-ale recipe come August, or just sucking it up and saving my pennies for next year.

-Rich

I brewed one up at the end of January, and I have already been drinking it and it's FANTASTIC.

I used the recipe I wrote when I was practicing for the BJCP exam last year.

I was thinking about making KingBrian's "Worlds Best Oktoberfest" from the recipe forums. It'll be my first Oktoberfest I've made, anyone else tried it?

Brewed Yooper's Fizzy Yellow with munich instead of vienna last month. It wont last until may, much less october.

I picked up a dorm fridge for $40 and cut the shelves out of the door with a dremel to make space for the bucket. Added a temp control, so it wasn't too expensive.

Had I managed to get my lagerator (fridge + temp controller) built, yep, I would. Sadly, it's been an expensive year and I can't justify the cost. :(

Swamp coolers, foam enclosures and the like have no appeal for me, so it looks like I'll be trying another Okty-ale recipe come August, or just sucking it up and saving my pennies for next year.

-Rich

I picked up a dorm fridge for $40 and cut the shelves out of the door with a dremel to make space for the bucket. Added a temp control, so it wasn't too expensive.

Yeah, that's my plan, too (did it once for my kegerator already), but $40 for a fridge and $60-70 for a decent controller is out of the plan for at least a month or two.

I know I could use the kegerator for keg-lagering, but I hate to lose 50% tap capacity for that long.

Like I said, expensive year. Medical costs, car costs, house costs. Luckily I should get a little refund action from Uncle Sam, but who knows when that will come through?

-Rich

You guys are making me feel like I am behind! Using a keg as a secondary is a great idea! That way I don't lose use of my Keezer! Oktoberfest beers are one of my favorites!

Back