Leaving Beer in the Secondary for a While...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKYY

Reaction score
I'm going to be away from home for three weeks, in a week. I just put an IPA into the fermenter three days ago. The fermentation is slowing, and I am sure that it will be ready to be placed into a secondary prior to my leaving.

However, I will be gone for 3+ weeks after that. Is there anything wrong with leaving a beer in a carboy for longer than 3 weeks? I'm thinking it will be better for the beer, if anything.

FYI, it's an IPA with an OG of about 1.072, and it's supposed to finish at about 1.018.

I will also be dry-hopping in the carboy.

No problem at all leaving your IPA for 3-4 weeks in the primary. It will only help to clear it and make it that much better. Dry hop when you get back and you will have a delicious brew!

edit: if you need someone to babysit it let me know.

Thanks for the advice! I'll just let it age in the carboy, and bottle it when I get back.

I appreciate the beerbysitting offer, but I think it'll be fine. :) Besides, there's no way I could trust you to not tap into my 50 bottles of Oaked Russian Imperial Stout while I'm gone. :D Nevermind my 2 cases of Oaked Imperial IPA!

I take that last part back. I wouldn't hesitate to put my own life in the hands of a master gunny.

Still, I think my beers will be just fine. ;)

I take that last part back. I wouldn't hesitate to put my own life in the hands of a master gunny.

Still, I think my beers will be just fine. ;)

You may put your life in my hands... but your beer ain't safe LOL

Latest posts

Back