Realized I don't like the yeast I used...possible to hide esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have made up a lemongrass Wheat beer, thinking I wanted atleast a little fruity ester in the beer to round out when I hoped would be a dry finish, I used Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat. Well, The smells coming out of the fermenter are not what I was expecting and really not what I wanted at all. Then I had a bottle of Great Divides Colette. It had a taste to it, these esters that I can only imagine are going to reflect what I am smelling from the fermenter even though the Colette is suppose to be a Saison. And these are definitely not what I was hoping for. So, is there a way, after primary has already slowed, to take down as many of the esters as possible? cold crashing? gelatin? add honey/sugar to continue drying it out?

Even though I used 8oz of lemongrass (4oz mash, 4oz boil) I think it is going to be overpowered by this yeast. I know for next time I am definitely going to use a Hefe yeast.

Thanks in advance.
Kyle

dude, you haven't even tasted it yet?

RDWHAHB. Don't do anything, your beer will be fine.

Also, Bavarian Wheat is probably most traditional wheat-oriented yeast you would find.

+1 on Fiddle. And a Saison yeast isn't going to taste much like a hefe yeast, so definitely don't try to draw conclusions that way.

I used Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat. ...................................... I know for next time I am definitely going to use a Hefe yeast.

Thanks in advance.
Kyle

Bavarian Wheat yeast = Hefe yeast = What you used

Smells coming from an airlock aren't much of an indication as to what the beer will be when you drink it.

Ferment it on the cooler side IF you want to keep the esters at bay

Leave it on the yeast for a few weeks at room temperature. The yeast will metabolize some of the esters, given enough time.

+1 on Fiddle. And a Saison yeast isn't going to taste much like a hefe yeast, so definitely don't try to draw conclusions that way.

I know I just need to let it rest. The Colette, even though it is labeled Saison actually uses 4 different kinds of yeast, so I do wonder what went in there.

I know the beer will be beer and taste like well, beer and I should relax, but I was just foreseeing a problem and decided it may be best just to plan ahead. I am letting it go for a little over 2wks in primary and then straight to the keg.

Thanks for the advice.
Kyle

Back