Apfelwein infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
So this is my first is it infected thread and I don't feel good about that. But, I want to know if anyone else has experienced this and knows the cause. Here it goes:

I fermented two 5 gal batches with lavlin champagne yeast, one fresh from brew store's fridge and the other stored several months in a 75F storage unit.

The batch with fresher yeast finished a week earlier than the other.

I bottled them a week apart and the last one smelled a bit at bottling, but just thought it was yeasty.

This smell is now horrible at one 6 weeks in the bottle and smells like vomit and sulfur. The other batch turned out great and is without this smell. It doesn't taste that bad actually, it's just the smell. Maybe a bit of sourness, but it's hard to tell due to the overpowering smell.

Do you guys think this smell is caused by lack of viability with the yeast? Does this viability cause the batch to become vulnerable to infection?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

well FWIW the bottom of the bottles look like a petri dish. Definitely not your normal yeast cake. That sucks:(

hmmm...
sure doesn't sound good. i'd think sanitation more than yeast issues though.

Back