30min mash, 30min boil...possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I have no reason to speed up and brew in this style, but...

Will conversion be finished?
What does the longer boil do other than evaporation, hop additions and (from what I've heard) release DMS?

Mash can be complete in 20 mins, I'd give it at least 40-45 to be sure.
Reducing the boil means your going to have lower hop utilisation and you are going to need to use more grain.

So if your $$$$$$ is worth less than your minutes I stick to 60 minutes each.

If you play around with beersmith, you can do a shorter mash and shorter boil, you'll just need to add a little more grain and probably quite a few more hops. Supposedly if you can afford to add all of your bittering hops in the last 10 or 20 minutes you get better hop flavor, it just costs a lot more.

Linc

It is not only a matter of efficiency, you should mash long enough to convert all starch, and boil long enough to drive off all DMS.

Couldn't you be boiling your bittering hops in a smaller quantity of dme or lme as in late addition extract while the 30min mash is going on and then add them together...

30minute mash with some extra grains needed. 1 hour boil without extra hops needed?

Or am I completely insane about this? (PS I haven't done AG yet!)

Couldn't you be boiling your bittering hops in a smaller quantity of dme or lme as in late addition extract while the 30min mash is going on and then add them together...

30minute mash with some extra grains needed. 1 hour boil without extra hops needed?

Or am I completely insane about this? (PS I haven't done AG yet!)

You don't need more grain for a 30 minute mash. In good conditions it converts in around 20 minutes. The rest is insurance and to allow time to prep other things and walk the dog to the pub.

Best thing to do is wait till you have the time.

time can be saved by having efficient methods. Does any one really need to brew in less than 3 hours?

You don't need more grain for a 30 minute mash. In good conditions it converts in around 20 minutes. The rest is insurance and to allow time to prep other things and walk the dog to the pub.

Best thing to do is wait till you have the time.

time can be saved by having efficient methods. Does any one really need to brew in less than 3 hours?

I listened to a Brew Strong with John Palmer and Jamil. John said that under laboratory conditions, with the malt being so modified, it could be done in 20 min. BUT those are lab conditions. John also said to play it safe and figure a 45-60 min mash.

:shrugs: what do i know

Back