Could my PVC manifold be leeching toxins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ente

Reaction score
I built my mash tun manifold out of pvc and made the standard square shape with slits on the bottom as a filter. Works fine.

However I used pvc cement to hold the whole thing together and I'm starting to think I've made 3 batches of toxic beer. Can this stuff leech into the wort? If so what off-flavors should I be expecting?

Has anyone else used pvc cement or does everyone simply loose fit their manifolds for easy cleaning?

cpvc and no cement. Works perfectly, only comes apart when I take it apart and cleaning is a breeze.

I might rip it all out today and replace with a stainless steel braided hose.

My Dubbel just tastes "harsh", but it needs more bottle conditioning. The headaches I get in the morning after 1 beer is worrying me as well. :(

My very little understanding of PVC vs. CPVC is that CPVC has addititives to structurally hold up at higher temperatures and pressures. The notion that CPVC becomes toxic and leaches at higher temps is not a certainty to me. CPVC was formulated for use at higher temps after the failure of PVC at higher temps while used for pressure applications.

My very little understanding of PVC vs. CPVC is that CPVC has addititives to structurally hold up at higher temperatures and pressures. The notion that CPVC becomes toxic and leaches at higher temps is not a certainty to me. CPVC was formulated for use at higher temps after the failure of PVC at higher temps while used for pressure applications.

What if they gave me just standard PVC? Are there chemicals that could be leaching into my mash?

I do lots of environmental sampling and if it's not made of Teflon, then YES, it's leaching. Most of our household pipes are PVC so many argue that you can't save yourself from it. Myself, I prefer everything to be SS or copper so nothing can leach during my brewday. I'm even weary of the silicon hose I use as that probably leaches some nasties as well.

It's difficult to stay free from all the little hazards out there, but every little bit helps. I'll argue 'til I'm blue that PVC & CPVC is no good for you. Phthalates will probably be the most common thing to show up with use of PVC/CPVC. CPVC is just PVC loaded with Chlorinated Solvents which are also very bad for us. To each their own, but from experience I know enough to stay far, far away from anything PVC/CPVC.

"DEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width (anything but that!!), shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals."

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/compound-leaching-plastic-pvc-equipment-151280/

So my penis and testes are doomed. Awesome.

No matter I already picked up the proper SS mesh tube and some fittings to replace this manifold.

Studying Envl Sciences makes you scared to do anything!! Working in the field just confirms that we're all in for some trouble. I read that even the SS from China is not the quality stainless they are claiming it is and is chock full 'o crap. Can't win :cross:

On that note, make sure the SS braid is 100% stainless and not the ones from Home Depot for toilets/sinks that are partly Lead (Pb).

On that note, make sure the SS braid is 100% stainless and not the ones from Home Depot for toilets/sinks that are partly Lead (Pb).

How has this been confirmed that the stainless braids from Home Depot contain lead, yea plumbum??? This is news to me? Also please explain what is in the chinese stainless that is to fear as well???
Thanks!

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=22039
"We just found out our China supplier is delivering parts using 304 SS opposed to the 316SS we require. Yes we did ask for and received C of C's containing NDT testing which were wrong (intentionally sent to use and our supplier from the raw material supplier). Of the suspect SS we also found the validated 316SS was conaminated with high %'s of base metals for example more chrome than allowable. The 304SS supplied was also contaminated so bad that it would not be acceptable as 304SS".

http://www.finishing.com/441/88.shtml
"These days we face problems regarding the quality of material. Like the companies in China send the material as Stainless Steel but it comes out to be Carbon Steel. We know one property to differentiate between Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel i.e. Magnetism, the Carbon Steel will attract to magnet but Stainless Steel wont. But we face another problem that our supplier says that Clamp is made of SS 410 but it is attracting the magnet and the reason provided by the factory is that they have not removed the magnetism. So, we are confused whether the material is really SS 410 or its still Carbon Steel."

^^^^^^Sorry man, i have no idea what your point is...at all! Yes, I am aware that there are many many grades of stainless...but contaminated stainless w/ lead, not a worry of mine...doesn't happen dude :)

^^^^^^Sorry man, i have no idea what your point is...at all!
Sorry I got way off topic. SS braid is much, much better then what might be plain old PVC. PVC is very, very bad. CPVC is still not ideal imo. copper manifold is probably best if you don't want to drop the $$$ on a SS false bottom.
Yes, I am aware that there are many many grades of stainless...but contaminated stainless w/ lead, not a worry of mine...doesn't happen dude *:)
For some reason I thought you asked for examples so I was just trying to show examples that it does happen and stuff from China is not the best. IIRC I read about Lead in the SS braids in this forum but can't find the thread. FWIW there has been steel contaminated with radioactive material so to say it can't happen with Lead is just silly.

Sorry for going on a pointless tangent about chinese SS. Carry on:eek:

Just brewed an IPA with a SS braid in place of the manifold I had and got a 1.060 OG with a 11.5lb grain bill. All seems to be working well.

Regardless of toxicity in either type of manifold, I found SS braid to be better (For me at least) My first CPVC manifold left me with tannins, presumably the holes were a little too big and allowed grain particles into the wort. My second attempt with smaller holes was the same. The problem disappeared completely after my switch to SS braid.

I don't think you can taste carcinogenic BPA or whatever. Not anymore than we used to taste all of the lead in garden hose water.

"Dude just drink out of the stream it's fine. I didn't taste anything bad in it."

It's usually the silent but deadly ones that get you ;)

Back