Raison D'etre vs. Trois Pistoles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So I went to the liquor mega store with the intention of getting some hoppy goodness, but I had tried most of the IPAs they had-so i went the other direction and got a bottle of raison d'etre (which I'd had before and enjoyed) and a 4 pack of Trois Pistoles (had never tried).

I enjoyed the candy, winey, malty fruitiness-but I had a really hard time telling the difference between the two. The RD had more aroma, but other than that, they were VERY similar. Are these two beers essentially the same? What category would these fall into?

haven't tried "Raison D'etre"...where's it come from?

EDIT: Looks like they're both "Belgian Strong Dark Ale" style so they should have similiar qualities...i'll have to give the RD a shot :) thanks

I've had and enjoyed both. I'm also curious to try Raison D'extra (or whatever it was called). The price of the bottle scared me away though. :cross:

fezzman said:
I've had and enjoyed both. I'm also curious to try Raison D'extra (or whatever it was called). The price of the bottle scared me away though. :cross:

Atlanta has just recently been able to get Dogfish Head, a lot of hype from friends, I have been fairly unimpressed mostly by the price. The 90 min is good, even SWMBO likes it and she hates hoppy beers. But the others I've had, eh. The 60min is OK but I can get a local micro (Sweetwater IPA) for cheaper and it is just as good.

I think they're totally different. Raison D'Etre did very little for me. I took my time drinking the last couple in the four pack. Trois Pistole, on the other hand, is one of the best beers of all time.

Dogfish Head only makes one really awesome beer, the 90 Minute IIPA. The rest of their stuff is too weird or just mediocre in quality for the price. Unibroue, on the other hand, has a ton of amazing beers.

Torchiest said:
I think they're totally different. Raison D'Etre did very little for me. I took my time drinking the last couple in the four pack. Trois Pistole, on the other hand, is one of the best beers of all time.

Dogfish Head only makes one really awesome beer, the 90 Minute IIPA. The rest of their stuff is too weird or just mediocre in quality for the price. Unibroue, on the other hand, has a ton of amazing beers.

Quality? I am not a fan of a number of DFH recipes (and some of their changes to their recipes) but I can't say their quality is sub-par from any of their beers I have sampled over the years.

While Raison and Trios share a number of similar characteristics, I definitely agree that their flavors are not identical and prefer Trios out of the two.

What other Unibroue brews would you recommend?-They all sound pretty intense reading their descriptions

BrewDey said:
What other Unibroue brews would you recommend?-They all sound pretty intense reading their descriptions

La Fin Du Monde ;)

All that I've tried have been excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Torchiest said:
Trois Pistole, on the other hand, is one of the best beers of all time.
Man, I'm gonna have to try TP again. Many at HBT rave about it, to the point that I nearly dropped $60 on a case at the distributor one day...thought better of it, and decided to find a way to try a smaller sample.

Found it at a local bistro with lots of Belgian and Belgian-style beers. Ordered, tasted, and thought...

Diet Coke!

Seriously, that was the exact flavor that hit me. Cola-y, sweet but not syrupy sweet, some spicy tones. Not sure if it was a bad bottle, bad day for me, what I was eating or whether that's the flavor everyone's raving about. I'll give it another shot.

Maybe quality wasn't exactly the right word. What I meant was the quality level doesn't justify the prices, except in the case of the 90 Minute.

Trois Pistoles is my favorite Unibroue, but I also really like Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, the original Ephemere, and Terrible. I've never had the chance to try any of their annual numbered batches, but I've heard they're awesome.

This is my review of Trois Pistoles from Beer Advocate:

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Unibroue goblet.

Deep mahogany color, a solid inch of pale tan head which slowly collapsed.

Smells absolutely fantastic, dark sweet fruit with noticeable maltiness.

Quite sweet, plum and other fruit all over the place, alcohol is nice and warming, but not overbearing for a 9% beer. Mild bitterness, finishes estery and tasting like port.

Smooth, almost creamy, full of carbonation with keeps it from feeling heavy as it slides through the mouth effortlessly.

Absolutely delicious, and perhaps my favorite beer ever. I'd drink it all the time if I could, but it's strong and a little on the expensive side.

As far as I know, it went off as planned, but things have remained basically the same. Same recipes and all. I haven't noticed a change in TP from when I first tried it in 2002 versus now.

Beerrific said:
The 60min is OK but I can get a local micro (Sweetwater IPA) for cheaper and it is just as good.

I wish sweetwater would distribute to raleigh

Just got the DFH Raison tonight and it's not bad but I am not about to call all my friends and tell them to buy a six-pack RIGHT NOW

I really gave DFH a legitimate try. I bought the Punkin Ale and the Raison last year, and the 120 Minute IIPA a couple years ago. None of them really do anything for me. The 60 Minute is only average among the IPAs I've tried, and the IBA is decent, but not phenomenal. Still, the 90 Minute redeems everything else.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Best non-belgian, Belgian brewery in North America.

Does anyone know what happened a few years back when Sleemans attempted a hostile take over of unibroue??

...and Sleeman was bought by Sapporo last year so they own Unibroue too.

Torchiest said:
Maybe quality wasn't exactly the right word. What I meant was the quality level doesn't justify the prices, except in the case of the 90 Minute.

A bit confuddled but from your other post, I can dig what you are saying...you just don't really like the majority of their beers and for the price of admission, you prb don't feel that it's justified. There are a number of DFH brews I feel the same way about while I can't think of any uni beers that have left that impression with me. Preferences work that way.:mug:

Torchiest said:

Damn, Torchy, I couldn't have said it better myself. Raison is all weird and I really really don't like it. Trois Pistoles is beautiful, complex, Belgian-styled, and elegant. I honestly never thought about the two beers together in the same WEEK, much less in the same paragraph together.

The Chicory Stout h'aint bad, and the World Wide is crazy good, IMHO. The 120 is great too. The Punkin is nice, as is the Aprihop, but both are too expensive. I like the India Brown as well.

But I have to agree---I like Unibroue's lineup more. But I like Belgian beer more than X-TREME BREW!!!!

Evan! said:
Damn, Torchy, I couldn't have said it better myself. Raison is all weird and I really really don't like it. Trois Pistoles is beautiful, complex, Belgian-styled, and elegant. I honestly never thought about the two beers together in the same WEEK, much less in the same paragraph together.

The Chicory Stout h'aint bad, and the World Wide is crazy good, IMHO. The 120 is great too. The Punkin is nice, as is the Aprihop, but both are too expensive. I like the India Brown as well.

But I have to agree---I like Unibroue's lineup more. But I like Belgian beer more than X-TREME BREW!!!!

When we had the Indian Brown Ale on tap, I really liked it, but later when I tried it in bottles, it didn't seem as good. The 120 Minute is great, but just too strong to really enjoy. I was warned away from their most recent oddball, the one that's hardly a beer at all. The name escapes me. And I think don't we can get any of the other ones down here in Texas, e.g. the stouts.

The difference may be between planting a seed, feeding and caring for it well, and letting something wonderful grow (Unibroue) versus trying to build a circus funhouse with clowns that some people find entertaining and others are frightened of (Dogfish Head).

brewt00l said:
A bit confuddled but from your other post, I can dig what you are saying...you just don't really like the majority of their beers and for the price of admission, you prb don't feel that it's justified. There are a number of DFH brews I feel the same way about while I can't think of any uni beers that have left that impression with me. Preferences work that way.:mug:

I guess part of it is the (I believe mistaken) idea that something is better only because it is more expensive, versus being more expensive because of higher quality. It's like those purses that costs hundreds of dollars just because they have a certain brand name on them. They're the same as all the other purses, quality-wise, but the label makes them cost more.

I feel that way about organic food as well. It's generally not really superior to regular food, but it is much more expensive to produce, so it comes off as better. I think Dogfish Head uses more expensive ingredients and tries to use that to say their products are better, but I think the prices are a bit beyond even the quality, which is good.

You might disagree with the organic food analogy, but I think the purse analogy is a good fit.

fezzman said:
Beerrific said:
The 60min is OK but I can get a local micro (Sweetwater IPA) for cheaper and it is just as good.
Torchiest said:
Torchiest said:
I'm confused as to how everyone can rag on DFH about pricing...I've never been anywhere where the Uni prices weren't at least 50% higher than any of the DFH prices. Not defending DFH here...if you don't like the beer, you don't like the beer ... but price seems like weird argument when comparing to Unibroue.

DeathBrewer said:
haven't tried "Raison D'etre"...where's it come from?

I was very excited about trying Raison D'etre....hated it! Almost spit out the first sip. Finished about a quarter of the glass and dumped it.

Now La Fin du Monde is the opposite end of the spectrum to me. I still have two left I'm saving in the basement to enjoy later.

Bike N Brew said:
I'm confused as to how everyone can rag on DFH about pricing...I've never been anywhere where the Uni prices weren't at least 50% higher than any of the DFH prices. Not defending DFH here...if you don't like the beer, you don't like the beer ... but price seems like weird argument when comparing to Unibroue.

The point is, with Unibroue, it's worth it. With Dogfish Head, it's not, except in the case of the 90 Minute. It's just pure economics. I'm willing to pay for the Unibroue, because I like it better, and I'm willing to risk paying more because I know I'll probably like any of their beers I try. Because I haven't liked most of the DFH, I'm not willing to pony up the big bucks for more beers I probably won't like, which makes me unwilling to try new offerings from them.

Like if you tried a bunch of beers from a brewery that sold them really cheap, and you only like one or two of them, you might still be willing to spend not a lot of money on the off chance you'll like something new. And for a really expensive place who's beers you adore, you'll happily throw down for a new flavor. But an expensive brewery with hit and miss quality discourages further experimentation.

Same thing happened to me with Left Hand Brewery out of Colorado. I tried their Porter, Milk Stout, Bitter, and IPA, and I didn't like any of them. Then also sell 22oz bombers of their extreme beers, like double IPAs and Imperial stouts, but they're ~$8 or more for those. If I'd liked their other offerings, I'd give those a shot, but since none of their beers do anything for me at all, I'm not going to spend that much for something else I probably won't like. If they were cheaper, I might give them a shot anyway. Also had a bad experience with a really expensive La Chouffe in a green 750ml bottle that had gone skunky. Not going to risk any more big bucks on them.

I do understand your point about how if you like it you like it, if not then you don't though. My issue is with throwing good money after bad.

I've been trying the DFH recently... we have a DFH alehouse nearby. The stout (in the black and tan) was very tasty, and my absolute favorite is the Indian Brown. However, I'm not at all fond of their pale ales nor their IPA's... too citrusy for my tastes.

The other local brewing pub in town made their own version of Raison D'etre (called it Raison De Boire, heh heh), which actually tasted smoother, though it's still just as sweet and thick. For my money, I'd rather a really thick and malty Scottish Ale.

Torchiest said:
I'm willing to pay for the Unibroue, because I like it better, and I'm willing to risk paying more because I know I'll probably like any of their beers I try. Because I haven't liked most of the DFH, I'm not willing to pony up the big bucks for more beers I probably won't like, which makes me unwilling to try new offerings from them.

I can understand that. I'm not sold on DFH (like the 90, like the 60 as kind of a "session" IPA in that it's pretty middle-of-the-road -- hell, I can get it at PNC Park, which makes it one of the all-time great baseball brews, anyway -- didn't much care for the Indian Brown or the Raison). Their lineup is "weird"...normally when you want to check out a micro, you expect certain things in the lineup (where's the Pale Ale? Where's the Porter? Where's the regular-not-18% ABV-Stout?) that you can use as a yardstick. No such luck with DFH...every beer's an adventure. Now that I found a bottle shop where I can get singles of everythng (and they actually have a big chunk of the DFH lineup) I'll probably try them all. And I'll do the same with all the Unibroues...even though they'll cost me 50% more ;)

Back