Brown Porter recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I brewed Orfy's porter and I've come to realize it just isn't to my tastes: too much crystal malt and it is missing something (bread/toast). It's really a decent beer, but I want something more sessionable (ie. drier, less caramelly).

With that in mind, what about these changes ?

OG: 1.043
SG: 1.009
IBU: 25

3,00 kg Bairds Marris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 78,95 %
0,30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60,0 SRM) Grain 7,89 %
0,25 kg Brown Malt (65,0 SRM) Grain 6,58 %
0,25 kg Chocolate Malt (450,0 SRM) Grain 6,58 %

16,00 gm Phoenix [10,00 %] (60 min) Hops 25,2 IBU

Mash @ 149F. Ferment with Nottingham or other clean yeast.

IMO, the recipe looks good (almost like a mini Fuller's porter) although you may find the brown malt to be a bit overpowering in a little beer like that, especially if you really dry it out. Brown malt needs a good malt base and a moderate amount of body to offset the dry, roasty flavors it gives. I love using the stuff, but it is very easy to go from a nice toasty-coffee flavor to something that resembles stale, old coffee grounds if you don't get it just right.

I'd mash around 154F and use a yeast that will attenuate well, but still give some body and enough esters to soften the beer. I know your a fan of dry yeast, although I really think a wet strain is key for beers like this. 1335 comes to mind as a good choice for a beer like this.

What about Ringwood ? I have a smack pack in the back of the fridge. It's probably a bit old, but I'll make a starter anyway: english, attenuative and flavourful.

What % brown malt would you recommend for something like a 1.043 OG ? 5% ? I could always up the base malt some, like this:

OG: 1.043
IBU: 25

80% MO
5% Brown
8.5% Crystal
6.5% Chocolate

I'll use Fawcett, which is supposedly middle of the road: less intense than Bairds' but more than Crisp's.

Ringwood would be a great choice. I was going to recommend that, but most people immediately go "eww" whenever that yeast is mentioned. Just be sure to ferment below 70F.

5% brown would be fine, the malt bill looks good. However, since I use TF chocolate malt (330L) I sometimes like to sub 1.5-2% of the chocolate malt for some roast barley or carafa II in my porters. It gives some very nice mocha flavors and makes things a bit more interesting. However, it is not really necessary when using brown malt in that amount.

Check out the recipe I have posted. I love it, brew it all the time. I bottled a batch about 2 hours ago. No crystal in mine at all, I don't think it belongs. I won the Porter category this year in the HBT contest.

Check out the recipe I have posted. I love it, brew it all the time. I bottled a batch about 2 hours ago. No crystal in mine at all, I don't think it belongs. I won the Porter category this year in the HBT contest.

That would also make for a change of pace... So many decisions :D I think I'll just go with the modified recipe and try yours if it doesn't give me satisfaction: I'm starting to realize that I'm not such a fan of crystal malt in everything and it fatigues my palate pretty quick. Since my objective is to brew and perfect three styles of beer this year (bitter, porter, yellow fizz), I could even try to compare in real time.

Back