Bought the wrong yeast. Should I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1781

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an IPA and the recipe I am following calls for California Ale WPL001. I accidentally bought the California Ale WPL051. I am wondering if I should use it or exchange it to follow the recipe. Also, what would be the difference in the beer if I go ahead and use the WPL051 vs. the WPL001?

From the White Labs website, it appears your beer will turn out good, assuming everything else goes well, just in a different way than the WPL001 would do. That's just what I am inferring from what I read about each yeast. I don't have any personal experience with either strain.

It will be better. I'm not a big fan of those chico ales I like yeast with some character. I only use chico for an Anchor porter clone. Chico is great because its very clean and therefore versatile, but with IPAs even american ones I think one is better off with a British yeast that has some fruity and diacetyl notes, Burton is a great one for IPAs or Ringwood. If you're worried about attenuation just throw in some sugar and it'll dry up a bit.

note: I've never used that chico V, but it sounds very much like East Coast Ale one I prefer over the Chico.

WLP051 will work just fine in an IPA. The slight fruitiness can work very well with citrus hops, like Cascades.

Thanks, I'll just use the WPL051. I am going to finnish and dry hop with cascade, so it sounds like it will work well.

Thanks, I'll just use the WPL051. I am going to finnish and dry hop with cascade, so it sounds like it will work well.

whats your recipe just out of curiosity? BTW i agree with everyone else- it should work quite well.

Jason1781 - I use WLP001 for a lot of beers, very light, adds little to no flavors if brewed on the lower temp levels.
I love it to test changes to other ingredients, but it is not then end all be all, different yeast for different beers.
I have never used WPL051 so please reply how it works for you.

10lbs Briess DME Gold
1 lb Crystal 20L

60 min - 1.5oz Magnum
30 min - 1.5oz Ahtanum
15 min - .5oz Ahtanum & 1 Tbsp Irish Moss
5 min - .5oz Cascade
Dry Hop - 1.5oz Cascade

Back