I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our manager came in this morning ranting and raving about how the pigeons are crawling all over inside the warehouse and by the transportation bay. They were going to hire a bird sniper to come in every night for two weeks to take care of them. My partner and I looked at each other and at the same time volunteered us to do it. Has to go through the directors and the tribe, but they're very greedy, so I'm sure they'll allow it. Since we run the safety program I don't think they'll squawk about that side either. Came home and took a few shots with my .22 air rifle. 15 yds,
Yup, that'll do nicely.

View attachment 146273

This made me forget how miserable life really is. If things like this can really happen, there is hope for us all. If it doesn't work out for you guys, put in a good word for me ok. I love how you practiced up...just to make sure you were qualified:mug:

Do people underwater breathe CO2? They were probably going to take your tank over to that place where you go and charge you $30 for the effort:)

CO2 is left over after filtering out the O2 and N2 I was looking into a CO2 scrubber filter to make my own but there was no real savings once you calculate the air compressor and cooler electrical consumption the cost of the filter neat idea. I would go that route if I ran a Lhbs as in a large run it is about .0007 cents per lb over 500 lbs just need a large enough tank ;)

CO2 is left over after filtering out the O2 and N2 I was looking into a CO2 scrubber filter to make my own but there was no real savings once you calculate the air compressor and cooler electrical consumption the cost of the filter neat idea. I would go that route if I ran a Lhbs as in a large run it is about .0007 cents per lb over 500 lbs just need a large enough tank ;)

That's interesting. I honestly never even considered the processes behind my tank of CO2.

I won't kiss you or tell you that your beer is good, but I will tell you not to give up. It's a learning process. Enjoy your brew days and learn from your mistakes. Don't be afraid to dump a beer if you don't like it.

Not sure if you underpitched because you used liquid yeast, but I think a lot of people use liquid yeast because it's 'cooler', because there are more strain options, or because dry yeast has a bad rap from years ago. Dry yeast is great. It's easy, doesn't need O2, and it's less expensive. I haven't used Mangrove Jack's, but I've heard a lot of good things about it if you are looking for more strain options than offered by Safale or Danstar. Use the pitch rate calculator on MrMalty to avoid underpitching again. Between proper pitch rate and a temp control for your freezer, I bet your next batch will be much better. I tape the temp probe to my carboy and guestimate that the actual ferm temp is about 4 degrees higher than what I have the temp control set at. Good luck with your next brew.
+1 on using dry yeast. It's really the easiest to deal with.

Got myself a Nuevo avatar... pretty much the polar opposite of my old one.
I would be interested to know how this second phase of your experiment goes. :)

That's interesting. I honestly never even considered the processes behind my tank of CO2.
Neither have I. Probably because co2 is a byproduct of so many processes.

A little birdy told me I have a box on the way today. *rubs hands together in glee*

Huh, I'm not hearing the text message alerts on my new phone. Bad phone, no doughnut.

Good evening!

I am still in my own little world, defying known methods when it comes to organic gardening/farming. Makes me mad when people with book knowledge, but little to no hands on experience tell me how things need to be done. Trying to make me second guess myself but I have seen it work, with my own eyes. To tell me otherwise, and no experience to base it on, pisses me off! I will not be abandoning my plan.

Anyway, enjoying a lemony extra pale ale I accidentally brewed. It's not bad. Though not sure where the sour, lemony taste came from. Maybe from fruit flies...

Good evening!

I am still in my own little world, defying known methods when it comes to organic gardening/farming. Makes me mad when people with book knowledge, but little to no hands on experience tell me how things need to be done. Trying to make me second guess myself but I have seen it work, with my own eyes. To tell me otherwise, and no experience to base it on, pisses me off! I will not be abandoning my plan. :mad:

Anyway, enjoying a lemony extra pale ale I accidentally brewed. It's not bad. Though not sure where the sour, lemony taste came from. Maybe from fruit flies...

Whatcha got going on in the garden? I tried to learn organic farming from books and came to the conclusion whoever wrote those books had no idea what they were talking about. I'm going to have to break down and spray some good ole fashioned toxic chemicals before I plant raspberries this spring. Sick of fighting a losing battle against weeds. Hopefully not something I'll have to repeat, but at least it will give me a fighting chance to mechanically control them in the future.

Lemony or acetic? Microbes that produce citric acid are pretty uncommon and I've never had an accidentally sour beer that wasn't acetic. Have you ever made fruit fly traps with cider vinegar in a jar and piece of paper rolled into a cone? Works great.

I won't kiss you or tell you that your beer is good, but I will tell you not to give up. It's a learning process. Enjoy your brew days and learn from your mistakes. Don't be afraid to dump a beer if you don't like it.

Not sure if you underpitched because you used liquid yeast, but I think a lot of people use liquid yeast because it's 'cooler', because there are more strain options, or because dry yeast has a bad rap from years ago. Dry yeast is great. It's easy, doesn't need O2, and it's less expensive. I haven't used Mangrove Jack's, but I've heard a lot of good things about it if you are looking for more strain options than offered by Safale or Danstar. Use the pitch rate calculator on MrMalty to avoid underpitching again. Between proper pitch rate and a temp control for your freezer, I bet your next batch will be much better. I tape the temp probe to my carboy and guestimate that the actual ferm temp is about 4 degrees higher than what I have the temp control set at. Good luck with your next brew.

I am getting ready to have a party with 8 different beers I made. I used dry yeast for all of them. 34/70 for lagers, it is great. Mangroves m44 and safeale for the ales. In my opinion mangroves m44 is awesome. The beers I have made are better than the ones made with liquid and a starter.

Dry yeast is just as good and easier. If you need a kolsch yeast go to liquid. Other than that I'm a dry guy. Good post tngabe.

I was using us-05 but it was from a penis batch and had been in the fridge a couple months, lesson learned I need to make a starter.

Whatcha got going on in the garden?

Nothing. Screw planting a field of crops, going through all that work, only to yield the same crops everyone else is growing, because it's the time of year for them. They can be bought cheap anywhere in town, they hardly bring in any money for the work involved. Well, I'll throw some seed down for our fall gardens but it's going to be up to other members of the family to keep up with them. Not going to waste my time. I went over my records for the past 4 years and we make the majority of our money from harvesting wild stuff. And money we've saved by trading for meats. How much does a family normally spend on meat per year? We can hunt, fish, trap, and trade out with the cattle farm down the road. Or with friends that hunt wild hogs. With 350 acres and wildlife flourishing, no need to spend any money on meat, a penny saved is a penny earned. Thanksgiving is coming up and who wouldn't pay to come out here and shoot a turkey to take home for dinner? I want to start tagging them. Keep inventory on how many we've got so we know how many, and which ones, we can let go of each year. I want to work with our natural landscape, passion fruit, cactus fruit, all grow wild around here. Mushrooms around the swamp that sell for $5 or more per pound. More chickens and no coops, let them run wild, feed the other wildlife and raise their own babies. Work with the land and mother nature, not try to fight against it. Maybe I will write a book as I proceed with my unconventional plans.

Nothing. Screw planting a field of crops, going through all that work, only to yield the same crops everyone else is growing, because it's the time of year for them. They can be bought cheap anywhere in town, they hardly bring in any money for the work involved. Well, I'll throw some seed down for our fall gardens but it's going to be up to other members of the family to keep up with them. Not going to waste my time. I went over my records for the past 4 years and we make the majority of our money from harvesting wild stuff. And money we've saved by trading for meats. How much does a family normally spend on meat per year? We can hunt, fish, trap, and trade out with the cattle farm down the road. Or with friends that hunt wild hogs. With 350 acres and wildlife flourishing, no need to spend any money on meat, a penny saved is a penny earned. Thanksgiving is coming up and who wouldn't pay to come out here and shoot a turkey to take home for dinner? I want to start tagging them. Keep inventory on how many we've got so we know how many, and which ones, we can let go of each year. I want to work with our natural landscape, passion fruit, cactus fruit, all grow wild around here. Mushrooms around the swamp that sell for $5 or more per pound. More chickens and no coops, let them run wild, feed the other wildlife and raise their own babies. Work with the land and mother nature, not try to fight against it. Maybe I will write a book as I proceed with my unconventional plans.
Please let us know how things go for you. If find your intended approach interesting. :)

I picked up a 6 pack of Odell 5 Barrel pale ale and got an "attaboy" from the other store clerk as I was walking out. :confused:

I'm at day 2 off the smokes. It sucks. Ready for a beer.

My key to quitting is to get too drunk to drive, then I can't get cigs.

Actually, I bought that for a buddy of mine. I bought me a Lindemans Kriek Lambic.:mug:

It's funny, this stuff was the first stuff I liked other than Bmc, made an ipa drinker of me. Damn, I'm on a roll, I even rhymed.

I'm at day 2 off the smokes. It sucks. Ready for a beer.

My key to quitting is to get too drunk to drive, then I can't get cigs.

Good luck. 19 years for me with the exception of a cigar occasionally. Still like the smell of a fresh light but after that it all fades to dirty ashtray smell:p

I spent the day mapping the property. Bamboo, long leaf pine straw, wild asparagus, all salable. In addition, vegetables growing in containers at the wrong time of year, without hoop houses, which are just disease magnets. Our homemade compost used to encourage what is already growing wild, and used for container gardening out of season herbs and veggies. I also got in touch with a local wildlife expert, will be hiring him for a few days to help me locate other possible sources of income. Pines will need to be thinned to encourage the blackberries, the property burned in segments year round. Also conservation and population of gopher tortoises... grants, donations, volunteers. Property will need to maintain at least 14% pine tree coverage to encourage their population by creating the perfect ecosystem for them. I looked at the numbers and we have to rethink everything we've been taught. No more taking from the earth without giving more in return. I had a vision and family thinks I've gone crazy but they are willing to go along with me. Because I showed them the numbers and numbers don't lie. I'll be busy for a while, I had a vision, an epiphany.

I think you are incredible. Yes, a little crazy. But incredible just the same.

I spent the day mapping the property. Bamboo, long leaf pine straw, wild asparagus, all salable. In addition, vegetables growing in containers at the wrong time of year, without hoop houses, which are just disease magnets. Our homemade compost used to encourage what is already growing wild, and used for container gardening out of season herbs and veggies. I also got in touch with a local wildlife expert, will be hiring him for a few days to help me locate other possible sources of income. Pines will need to be thinned to encourage the blackberries, the property burned in segments year round. Also conservation and population of gopher tortoises... grants, donations, volunteers. Property will need to maintain at least 14% pine tree coverage to encourage their population by creating the perfect ecosystem for them. I looked at the numbers and we have to rethink everything we've been taught. No more taking from the earth without giving more in return. I had a vision and family thinks I've gone crazy but they are willing to go along with me. Because I showed them the numbers and numbers don't lie. I'll be busy for a while, I had a vision, an epiphany.

Do what ya love.

Brewing keeps my mind busy so it doesn't wander, raising chickens does the same thing for a friend. It sounds like you have at least two good hobbies now!

If logic an emotion agree, then it's something you should probably pursue. Good luck to you BL.

It sounds like you are money poor, labor poor, and land rich. From some of the other things you have said, it also sounds like what you are doing is altering your approach to make the most return based on your available labor. The back side of that is that you can't go fighting the nature of your land. You'll spend way to much in labor doing that. So, you're trying to find the best way to work with that nature. Good for you BL.

Bobbi, blueberries, bananas,thrive in your low areas. If you have enough shelter papaya, loquats,(sp)
There is also Moringa a food source unlike any other, I have some that just sprouted.
Plant for the land and for you:D

Bite that burger Mike:ban:

I built my DIY stir plate. A variable speed computer fan. Hookups for it to usb. A usb wall adapter. Some random tiny aluminum briefcase from a second hand store. Magnets out of an old hard drive. Some bits of sheet vinyl I bought for something else. Leftover pieces of rubber from a fan balancing kit. Some 3m foam backed tape.

Altogether, it came out better then I expected.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Actually, I bought that for a buddy of mine. I bought me a Lindemans Kriek Lambic.:mug:

Ugh. I doubt it's the Cuvée René, but I really hope it is. I love kriek other lambics, and sours in general, but Lindeman's main kriek should in no way qualify as a real lambic... it just tastes like cough syrup and is disgustingly oversweetened well past the point of syrupy, leaving no sign of whether or not it even started out with any sourness.

In fact, I don't drink BMC at all but I would gladly down a case of just about any of them before resorting to that vile stuff (which is like the BMC of lambic anyways). I'm actually a bit disappoint in you, son. :eek:

Ugh. I doubt it's the Cuvée René, but I really hope it is. I love kriek other lambics, and sours in general, but Lindeman's main kriek should in no way qualify as a real lambic... it just tastes like cough syrup and is disgustingly oversweetened well past the point of syrupy, leaving no sign of whether or not it even started out with any sourness.

In fact, I don't drink BMC at all but I would gladly down a case of just about any of them before resorting to that vile stuff (which is like the BMC of lambic anyways). I'm actually a bit disappoint in you, son. :eek:
I've never had a lambic of any kind before. Since every other kind of beer I've had has landed somewhere between Meh, and Ugh, I thought I'd start trying some different lambics.

Nice but does it work?;)
It does. I need to get a stir bar, but with the 1/2" round magnet I had on hand I was able to fully mix a drop of food coloring into a gallon of water in 39 seconds. On low.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is just the normal kind. The liquor store I went to had about 400 kinds of beer. Three of which were lambics. It was this, the Lindeman's Peche, or one other I don't remember. Since I hadn't had any of them, I picked one at random. :)

DSC_0055.jpg

I've never had a lambic of any kind before. Since every other kind of beer I've had has landed somewhere between Meh, and Ugh, I thought I'd start trying some different lambics.

It does. I need to get a stir bar, but with the 1/2" round magnet I had on hand I was able to fully mix a drop of food coloring into a gallon of water in 39 seconds. On low.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is just the normal kind. The liquor store I went to had about 400 kinds of beer. Three of which were lambics. It was this, the Lindeman's Peche, or one other I don't remember. Since I hadn't had any of them, I picked one at random. :)

There are other "mass" fruit lambics that are still a lot better. Mort Subite Kriek or Framboise, for instance - the latter one is my very successful go-to for getting non-beer drinkers interested in beer.

Of course, if you can find something top notch like a Cantillon fruit lambic, no need to pass it up :).

Another interesting (and very delicious) style that wine drinkers especially tend to like are Flanders/Flemish reds. Some popular ones being Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Panil Barriquée, and America's very own New Belgium La Folie.

There are other "mass" fruit lambics that are still a lot better. Mort Subite Kriek or Framboise, for instance - the latter one is my very successful go-to for getting non-beer drinkers interested in beer.

Of course, if you can find something top notch like a Cantillon fruit lambic, no need to pass it up :).

Another interesting (and very delicious) style that wine drinkers especially tend to like are Flanders/Flemish reds. Some popular ones being Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Panil Barriquée, and America's very own New Belgium La Folie.
I'll keep an eye out. It isn't that I dislike beer exactly, though there are some do dislike, it's that I've never had a beer that made me go "ooh that's good".

I'll probably have more luck with the Flanders/Flemish reds. Lambics are pretty thin on the ground around here.

Threw together a batch of vanilla creme soda last last night to serve at a home brew club function tomorrow. It's open to the public, so we can't serve home brew. Anyway, this is my first attempt at making soda and I'll have to say, I drink almost no soda period, but this stuff is awesome. It was organic cane sugar, lactose, almond extract, home made Tahitian vanilla extract, lemon juice for acid and water.

Latest posts

Back