good cheap all grain ale recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
Im trying to find basicly a bud type ale. What i meen is something that is higly drinkable to your everyday person, aka women, but doesnt require lagering as i dont have the equipment ti control fermentation temp.

cream of 3 crops recipe on here is a go-to for most people seeking the same thing.

you can also try making a nice light smash with some 2-row and a delicate little hop like Saaz or something.

I made a Belgian blonde that everyone liked. Was SMaSH, pale ale malt and nugget hops, mashed a little high on purpose (155). Comes out sweet, light, crisp, refreshing.
100% Pale Ale Malt
15.7 IBU's FWH
8.7 IBU's 30m

A Kolsch would be nice, too.

Cascade SMaSH

10# 2Row - $4.60
4oz Cascade - $4.00
Safale US-05 - $2.99

Total cost for 5G -> $11.59

Not quite a "Bud Type' ale... but if you reduced the hops it may be what you're looking for.

I would assume that any smash with lighter grain would do the trick. Then play around with different types/amounts of hops to dial in what you really like. That is part of the beauty of homebrewing: being able to make a good beer better.

Yeah, the reason I mentioned my Belgian Blonde is that it was a smash, low on hops, light, not malty, etc BUT ALSO that it's easiest to brew. No flaked corn, rice, etc. Just grab some base malt and a hop and go.

Cascade SMaSH

10# 2Row - $4.60
4oz Cascade - $4.00
Safale US-05 - $2.99

Total cost for 5G -> $11.59

Not quite a "Bud Type' ale... but if you reduced the hops it may be what you're looking for.

Holy cow, where the heck do you shop? My LHBS is cheap, and those prices blow theirs out of the water...

Holy cow, where the heck do you shop? My LHBS is cheap, and those prices blow theirs out of the water...

Local brewery Madison River Brewing Company http://www.madisonriverbrewing.com/ will sell 2-row at 50# / 23$. They sell specialty grains too, but speaking to the workers they said it's a PITA to do non-base grains... so I usually get the specialty grains at LHBS. I usually buy my hops off of http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com, which is $3.40 for 4oz of cascade. I calculated shipping in and it came out to about $4.00 for the hops. LHBS sells US-05 for $2.99, though I think they upped it to something like $3.99 recently. Regardless, extra dollar isn't too bad for 5 gallons.

You could go to the AHA site and look up $12 Cream Ale. I think that's what it was called. Or go with what the others have suggested. All have been made many times by many people with great success.

I have a gang of 2011 crop hops in the freezer, vacuum sealed. Paid $6.99/lb. for Nugget, Willamette, and Columbus. I get other hops free from homebrew competition at local brewery and use them (mostly noble hops) for lagers and Kolschs, etc.

Buy grain via group buys for under $40/50lb. sack shipped.

Harvest yeast.

I can brew 9 gallons of SMaSH for under $20.

You want BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. It's hoppy/malty enough to satisfy you and your "beer friends" and just mellow enough to satisfy the non-beer people too. It is WITHOUT QUESTION the keg that empties the quickest in my house. Bonus: I can make a batch for about $22, and I can go from grain to glass in about two weeks.

Back