Oatmeal Stout Fermentation..lag?? Please Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerLife

Reaction score
I am now working on my third batch this time its an Oatmeal Stout from Midwest Supplies.

After the brew the OG was 1.040, it looked great and the little sample I had it tasted amazing..I can't wait for it to take its course.

I pitched the swelled packet of liquid Wyeast (Irish Ale) after aerating the wort as much as possible by stirring, popped the lid on the Brew Pail and placed a blow-off tube just for safe measure. Because Im in MN and its the dead of winter I had to put a "Brew Belt" around the primary (about 1/3 way down the pail) in order to maintain a consistent temperature (which has been around 66-70 F) during fermentation.

So here is the question...I haven't seen any signs of the fermentation taking place. Could the temperature or addition of the brew belt have an effect on the fermentation? Could something be wrong with the yeast? Should I wait until end-of-day before worrying about trying to pitch another batch of yeast?

Please help, I don't want to lose this tasty tasty brew. Any advice will help at this point!!!

How long ago did you pitch? 72 hours isn't an uncommon lag before visible signs of fermentation if you used liquid yeast without a starter.

Here is a sticky thread that you can read to help take your mind off it. ;)

Whenever i see the words "signs of fermentation" I first ask what are you fermenting in, because if you are using a bucket there are no TRUE visual signs of fermentation.

The only true"Signs of fermentation" come from your hydrometer, NOT AIRLOCK BUBBLING!!!

over 50% of my beers never have a bubble, it is normal actually for some not to bubble...

That's why we say you should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

That's why we recommend to new brewers to use their hydrometers, not their eyes. I believe MOST of the new brewer's "stuck fermentation threads are not, stuk, they are using the airlock as a "gauge" rather than checking gravity.

I have found that oldschool S types seem more reliable than the 3 piece to actually bubble. I think maybe co2 isn't always heavy enough to push up that plastic piece in the center of the 3 piece.

Read this...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Your beer is fine...just walk away for 10 days minimum then take a hydro reading...

Don't "fix" something that probably ain't broken...in other words don't add anything to your beer...take a hydro after 10 days...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Now if you are fermenting in a carboy...then you could have missed the forming and falling of the krauzen...but more than likely, you have lagtime...

But read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

As of 12 noon today it will have been in the pail for 72 hours. Hopefully I will be able to see some signs of fermentation when I get back home from work...

Fingers crossed!!!

Back