Greenhorn question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickhouse80

Reaction score
My first batch ever has been in secondary for almost 10 days and is still bubbling. I am seeing a single bubble about every 15 seconds. Leave it until it stops bubbling or go ahead and bottle?

The bubbles were smelling like beer. Now they smell like feet... just FYI

You need a hyrdometer sample to know if you've hit the intended FG, but as a rule I always leave it alone if it's still bubbling. Fermentation will not always produce airlock activity, so the hydrometer really is your best friend for knowing when to bottle. What are you brewing? If it's not a wheat or a small ale, you'd likely do better to leave it in the fermenter a while anyway.

Leave it another week and then do hydrometer samples to see if you are finished fermenting. By then you should have nicley conditioned ale ready to be either ready to secondary or to bottle.

Ditto the Elkdog, you really need the hydrometer. But by no means bottle when your still bubbling, you'll end up with bottle bombs. When in doubt, wait. Good luck!

Back