airlock getting foam, OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborahjm

Reaction score
I made my first 2 1-gallon meads last week from a book that was about wild fermentation. Last night I tried my first batch with yeast. What a difference!

This morning the airlock was sitting on the counter next to the gallon of future mead! I cleaned it up, sterilized it again, and now the foam is moving up into the airlock. I cleaned it out once, and think it was a good idea because the airlock seems slightly clogged with the foam.

I did pour out a bit so there would be more air space, but the foam just filled in the space and is making its way up the airlock again.

I used 1quart of honey, apricots, ginger and sage to one gallon of water and 2 gr of yeast.

My question is: should I leave more airspace, just keep cleaning the airlock, or is it ok that the foam is getting into the airlock.
I thought about removing the airlock and using my siphon hose in a quart jar of water...

Thank you for your advice!!

You can hook up your racking hose directly to the airlock, like Revvy's pic below

Ailockbo1.jpg

Just sanitize the hose and run the other end into a small bucket of sanitizer. What kind of yeast did you use btw? I never get a big foamy krauzen on my meads, though I usually use wine yeasts

Well I am not really sure what kind of yeast it is. I read of some recipes with regular grocery yeast, so I went to our local town market, and they sell it in bulk, so there is no label.
I have not ventured into yeasts yet...seems that is next!

Thanks for the picture, and the airlock idea. I was wondering how I would get the siphon hose into the bung!:D

imo 3 piece airlocks should not be used for meads. they are to prone to getting clogged up. this was my personal experience.

If you smear antifoam drops around the inside of neck of the fermenter, the foaming will be greatly reduced. If you don't have antifoam drops, the Phazyme infant gas drops at the supermarket are made of essentially the same stuff.

I would take the airlock out and shove the hose directly through the grommit. The bottom of the airlock can crust up and block the tiny holes in the bottom of it. If that happens, you'll blow the lid off the fermentor.

I tried as you suggested using the siphon hose on the airlock, but even with warming the end of the hose under warm water, I was not able to get the hose onto the airlock, though it did fit into the rubber bung.
I had not thought about the the small holes on the airlock getting clogged. Maybe that is why I found the airlock on the counter this morning!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

While I had the airlock open, I tasted and did not yet taste any of the sage or ginger...though I know it is only the second day.....
Did I mention this is really going to teach me patience?? (I hope!)

Anyone have a recommendation for quantity of these (sage and ginger) in a gallon batch? I assume both flavors will get stronger, and I don't want to overdo.

I sat down to write a quick note before calling it a night, and I find so many wonderful things to read that before I know it, and hour has passed!
Thanks so much!

I hope so too :D. Meads can take months (if not years) to mature to their full potential. If you are this anxious after a couple of days, you are in for a long wait :)

I started this homebrew journey with making mead, but moved to beer when I got impatient waiting for all that mead to finish :drunk:

I can make countless batches of great beer in the time it takes to make (and mature) one batch of mead. It helps the time pass :)

I hope so too :D. Meads can take months (if not years) to mature to their full potential. If you are this anxious after a couple of days, you are in for a long wait :)

:D I am just glad it is so much fun to make! I am an herbalist and this is like having a new playground! Though I am looking forward to savoring the mead, I am just as excited about the feedback it will give me, and having a new medium to work in.
Everytime I open my herb cabinet, I think of half a dozen recipes I would like to try.
The good news is that making a gallon or two each week will give me a steady flow.......some day........

I started this homebrew journey with making mead, but moved to beer when I got impatient waiting for all that mead to finish :drunk:

I can make countless batches of great beer in the time it takes to make (and mature) one batch of mead. It helps the time pass :)

:D Though I am not a beer lover (although I have never had a home brew) I have found that I am delighted' that I am also a komucha maker so that I can make "countless batches" of that while I am learning the patience it is going to take to be able to call myself a meadmaker!

I am truly grateful for all the wonderful stories, recipes and advice that this forum is filled with!

Back