Turkey fryer didn't boil water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Well, I tried to do a full boil using my turkey fryer last night, with no luck. The pot that came with it is about 30litres (4-5" from the top with 23 litres in it), and I thought it should work.

It was close, and the wort occasionally looked like it was doing a bit of a boil, but I could never get it to a full roll. Temperature seemed to hover just over 200F. Flames were almost entirely blue, and I was in a an enclosed area, so cross-breeze, etc wasn't a problem.

The unit is a couple of years old, and the burner is somewhat rusted (but intact) so maybe there is a bit of a restriction choking the flame.

Wow was that frustrating. Oh well, on the bright side, I went to the grocery store and got a very funny look from the cashier when I bought 2 cases (24 cans) of apple juice for my Apfelwein!

An appliance repairman once told me every spring he would make a lot of money cleaning out tiny little cob webs made by tiny little spiders making tiny little webs in the tiny little orifice of outdoor grills.

Well, I tried to do a full boil using my turkey fryer last night, with no luck. The pot that came with it is about 30litres (4-5" from the top with 23 litres in it), and I thought it should work.

It was close, and the wort occasionally looked like it was doing a bit of a boil, but I could never get it to a full roll. Temperature seemed to hover just over 200F. Flames were almost entirely blue, and I was in a an enclosed area, so cross-breeze, etc wasn't a problem.

The unit is a couple of years old, and the burner is somewhat rusted (but intact) so maybe there is a bit of a restriction choking the flame.

Wow was that frustrating. Oh well, on the bright side, I went to the grocery store and got a very funny look from the cashier when I bought 2 cases (24 cans) of apple juice for my Apfelwein!

Back