MoreBeer Vs. AHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just like to add that I have had some very bad experiences with More Beer. One time it took 4 phone calls and 1 month to get a shipment.

Additionally their web site is not up to date. Items that say they are in stock might not be....and it will take 2 days for them to tell you.

I think I am done with them....the little savings is not worth the frustration

2. Which online retailer offers HBT only sales, discounts, and insider information on upcoming changes to the industry?

That is the one thing I wish AHB had more of - I feel they fail #2 - emails are few and they keep adding kits without telling anybody. I have not seen any of the above.

BTW - I've spend $800 at AHB in 6 months - Do you think I like them!

I have a new marketing team for the new year. Jon and Nick will be sending out emails every 2 weeks to people on our mailing lists. Sign up on our website.

We will be launching a membership club at the beginning of the year that will give free White Labs Yeast, Free Shipping, Exclusive deals and sales.

Also, in February we will start the biggest homebrew sale in homebrew store history. We will be having a 50 day sale! We will be giving a $50 gift certificate each of the 50 days. Many deals and sale prices during the 50 days as well. More details in January.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply (or AHB, AHS, AHBS....)

It seems like orders used to take a max of 1 day to get filled and now it's just about a 2 day minimum on the last few orders that I've placed.
I noticed that too, my order placed on the 1st didn't ship until the 5th arrived on the 10th, the sharpie markings were rubbed off 4 of the 5 the grain packs (by the packing foamies), and one item was the wrong thing. First order I have ever had anything wrong with.

BTW - I've spend $800 at AHB in 6 months - Do you think I like them!
Did you have to go there? you made me look it up, I do about 1/2 my (non bulk grain) buying from AHS the other half from whoever.. Having spent $600 at AHS in 2008 it tells me I am in denial on how much I spend on Brewing.

I absolutley prefer Austin Homebrew Supply. While I was deployed in the Gulf, Forrest allowed me to purchase a bunch of stuff and then he held it in his warehouse for a few months, yes months, until I got home from the deployment. I was able to buy stuff during a pretty darn good sale and get more bang for my buck.

A couple of questions I think everybody should ask themselves before they pick an online supplier:

1. Who spends a lot of time on this forum answering questions, offering advice, and generally being very helpfull?

2. Which online retailer offers HBT only sales, discounts, and insider information on upcoming changes to the industry?

3. Who can you depend on to fix things when mistakes are made?

In my limited 9 month experiences with this, only Forrest and AHS fit all three questions. Sure, I occasionally pop into the local store when I decide to brew on a whim, but I always return to AHS when I have the foresight to plan my brew more than an hour before I start.

AHS and Forrest have demonstrated their commitment to HBT and all of us here.

I was about to add my $0.02 to this post, but there really isn't much more that you can say. This sums it up very nicely.
If Forrest has what I need, he gets my business, period. Why? Because, I know he is a regular here and cares about us! He doesn't have to be here to be in business, but he chooses to and has gone "above and beyond" IMHO. How many times have you seen B3 or NB post on here asking what we would like to see?!?!

Nobody's mentioned my favorite thing about Austin Homebrew: the "grain bill" function. Not only will they sell me 12oz. of a grain (which other vendors don't seem to do), but they'll combine it with the rest of the grains for my recipe and crush it. Sure, the per-ounce price is higher for partial pounds, but it's worth it if, like me, you brew in a small apartment and don't have anywhere to store 4oz. of this, 8oz. of that as leftovers. :rockin:

I've ordered from Morebeer and Midwest. Both seem to have excellent customer service, but shipping times are night and day. If I order by a reasonable time from Midwest I normally have my shipment the NEXT DAY, and they charge only for the actual cost for UPS Ground. Granted, I am only five hours from MPLS but that's still impressive.

MoreBeer can take up to two weeks.

I really like the service etc from Austin Home Brew, great place.

Does anyone know if their 1/2" ID silicone hose has 1/8" walls or 1/16" walls?

We will be launching a membership club at the beginning of the year that will give free White Labs Yeast, Free Shipping, Exclusive deals and sales.

Also, in February we will start the biggest homebrew sale in homebrew store history. We will be having a 50 day sale! We will be giving a $50 gift certificate each of the 50 days.
Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply (or AHB, AHS, AHBS....)

Woah! I just got a half-chub! This sounds great Forrest! So, when are you going to raffle off another SS fermenter? :D

In recent years I've ordered primarily from B3, Northern Brewer, and Williams Brewing. I seem to prefer the latter two as I had an issue with B3 - it was resolved, but the over-all customer service experience was not the best. I felt like I was on the defensive and had to "prove" my point (mixed in w/ a little attitude on their end). I will still order from them if I need something no one else carries, but only then. Both NB and Williams have been very positive experiences.

As for AHBS - I haven't really given them a try but plan to soon. However, what's up with their PBW price?? Much higher than other retailers. I can get 8lbs from NB for $36.50. Same amount at AHBS is over $50. I don't care about a buck or two here and there but when something is close to 30% higher you notice. I could order it from NB but now I'm paying twice the shipping as I have to split the order up.

I don't believe I've ever seen Morebeer, Northern Brewer, or Willams Brewing ever give HBT members a special offer or even participate here online. That in itself sets Austin Homebrew apart from the rest.

I don't believe I've ever seen Morebeer, Northern Brewer, or Willams Brewing ever give HBT members a special offer or even participate here online. That in itself sets Austin Homebrew apart from the rest.

MoreBeer hopped on one time (maybe a week ago) to answer to some ranting regarding the supposed 'unfairness' of their Deal of the Day.

That said, Austin Homebrew is a step above in my book.

Yup, I agree. Why I will be ordering from them from now on. I just have to get them to lower the price of PBW ;)

Having spent $600 at AHS in 2008 it tells me I am in denial on how much I spend on Brewing.

Yea - I WISH I had not looked that up - DO NOT tell SWSNBN - actually she likes my beer - but not a $5 a bottle which it seems to be costing!

MoreBeer hopped on one time to answer to some ranting regarding the supposed 'unfairness'

I do what I can! and I STILL think it is a silly way to operate.

I know this doesn't help, but Morebeer (more flavor) will be having 15% off everything and some things discounted more tomorrow in their stores. I was there last weekend and learned of it, but don't know if it extends to online, but I doubt it.

I won't be able to make it, but wish I could.

P.S. I like to order from AHS too. The Bert Grants Mandarin Hefe and Rogue Mocha Porter clones are both from there and are great, although getting a little old now, maybe I'll drink them tonight :)

I'm fairly new, but I've ordered twice from Brewmasters Warehouse. Ed was very helpful with both orders and each order arrived within two days (even with the value shipping option). I also like the fact that he is a couple of shipping zones closer than ABS. Less time in transit for me.

I had a question regarding a beer style and Ed e-mailed an answer promptly. Great service. I hope he makes it

I had an order in with Morebeer on Dec 3 (they had something on sale I wanted) and an order from AHB on Dec 7. The order from AHB arrived and was brewed already. The order from Morebeer is STILL NOT HERE. - 1 item delayed so they delayed my entire shipment. In OCT I ordered a thermometer from morebeer as part of another order. they shipped the order, but not the thermometer. 2 months later I finally got a refund.

I'm very pleased with AHB - no one is perfect but when I have had issues/problems/questions they got on it immediately and resolved my issue. Morebeer lacks in this.

Ask AHBS, NB or Midwest if you can return a broken item 4 months after you purchased it? I bet they will say no, More beer has stepped up and helped me out by sending me a new one no questions asked. I do agree with the free shipping sometimes it is slow to arrive from Morebeer. I have no problems ordering from any of the major vendors and all have there good qualities.

B3's FREE shipping has a disclaimer... so, I cant really complain about it. I use them almost exclusively because I plan my brews a few weeks in advance. I plan ahead, I save money, 10 day shipping doesnt matter to me. To each thier own.

in all fairness to morebeer and NB, its because they provide a forum like this one for there customers and all other brewers who want to join also.

Ahh, true true... grasshoppa

If I invite you to my home, and you do not come, you cannot talk badly about me for not coming to your home, can you?

I have only shopped Austin and Midwest so far. I got what I ordered and was pleased with each however Austin was much quicker. I will be purchasing more supplies soon and with Austin's upcoming sale I will probably be shopping there. One request Forrest...a catalog. I am a simple man and love to look at pictures and daydream. Pretty much wore out the midwest catalog now building and buying (if only in my head)!!!!

Ask AHBS, NB or Midwest if you can return a broken item 4 months after you purchased it? I bet they will say no, More beer has stepped up and helped me out by sending me a new one no questions asked. I do agree with the free shipping sometimes it is slow to arrive from Morebeer. I have no problems ordering from any of the major vendors and all have there good qualities.

Why do you assume that just because B3 did something nice the other stores wouldn't? You are projecting hypothetical situations.

So go ahead and ask me? How much money are you betting?

Go on.

Someone bought a March pump in March. They started having problems and we just replaced it today.

Forrest

I have only shopped Austin and Midwest so far. I got what I ordered and was pleased with each however Austin was much quicker. I will be purchasing more supplies soon and with Austin's upcoming sale I will probably be shopping there. One request Forrest...a catalog. I am a simple man and love to look at pictures and daydream. Pretty much wore out the midwest catalog now building and buying (if only in my head)!!!!

We are always adding products and lowering prices. By the time the catalog is printed it is out of date.

Forrest

P.S. Can the thread name be changed to Austin Homebrew vs. B3

Why do you assume that just because B3 did something nice the other stores wouldn't? You are projecting hypothetical situations.

So go ahead and ask me? How much money are you betting?

Go on.

Someone bought a March pump in March. They started having problems and we just replaced it today.

Forrest

I did have a problem once and the guy on the phone at your place said sorry you had it to long. I am not bashing any of the on line retailers I like them all. When it came time for me to spend $500+ on my conical guess where I spent that money, AHBS.

I know this doesn't help, but Morebeer (more flavor) will be having 15% off everything and some things discounted more tomorrow in their stores. I was there last weekend and learned of it, but don't know if it extends to online, but I doubt it.

That's great, but they could come here and announce it themselves and they could support the members here with some deals, but they have chosen not to so far.

in all fairness to morebeer and NB, its because they provide a forum like this one for there customers and all other brewers who want to join also.

That's a great service for their customers. Morebeer has 5,754 members and 11,222. Homebrewtalk.com has almost 30,000 members.

I cannot understand why they would not want access to such a large group of a target market that so focused on their products and services.

Had an issue with a 40lb bag of grain from Austin Homebrew came with a giant hole in the bag leading me to lose a lot of grain in the box and all over my floor as it was on the bottom where I couldn't see it when I picked it up.

They made it right however I did get a little frustrated feeling like I wasn't being believed on the other end of the phone.

I have issue with the 40 lb Bag period, We pay a premium price for the grain and end up in the long run being screwed out of a brew session.
That is the only issue I was with AHS though, for my grain I go else where.

I have issue with the 40 lb Bag period, We pay a premium price for the grain and end up in the long run being screwed out of a brew session.
That is the only issue I was with AHS though, for my grain I go else where.

You need to look at the prices now, they have been lowered. Compare delivered prices. Also, you are paying for 40lbs, you are getting 40lbs. If you need more grain, it is no problem to add it to your order. I tried selling 50lbs at a time and they didn't sell well. I tried a 40lb. bag and the sell really well because of the value.

Forrest

I understand, I usually order 100 or more pounds at a time.
Do you still charge the $10.00 sur-charge?

The shipping charge is $6.99 no matter how much grain you order. Bulk grain qualifies for flat rate shipping. I removed the $10 charge and lowered the price. For example: Maris Otter went down $18. Please do stores a favor and check again before talking about price. These posts last forever.

Forrest

I have to look at bullk grain prices again... I know AHS made a lot of changes, I may need to rethink my purchasing habits.

Well, AHS is certainly competitive with bulk grain prices. The only place that I can find that can beat them is Midwest supplies for delivered price. Midwest would not be cheaper for some, but it is a pretty short delivery from Minn. to Ind.

Rahr 2 Row was 1.375/lb delivered from AHS and 1.34/lb at Midwest
Maris Otter (Crisp) was 1.875/lb delivered from AHS and 1.49/lb at Midwest

AHS would beat Midwest if you were on the west coast... Midwest obviously has a small edge if you are in the center of the country, but the further they ship, the less you save.

B3, though they charge VERY LITTLE for thier bulk grain, has to ship to me clear across the country... and is not competitive at all. For the most part, geography will determine who is cheaper, delivered, when it comes to bulk grains.

Kudos to Forrest for making price adjustments, and nixing the bulk grain surcharge.

Forrest, did you say those FREE shipping coupons would be good indefinately?

EDIT: I never shop at my LHBS because thier NON bulk prices are a little wacky, and thier $4-$5 hops are rediculous. BUT, I can get Rahr 2-Row for $.80/lb in bulk and Maris Otter for $1.24/lb in bulk and pay no shipping. Guess that is where I should go!

For example for Otis the Drunk:

100lb of Rahr 2row from Northern Brewer to Panhandle TX
$83.98 plus $58.48 shipping is $142.46 or 1.4246 per pound

100lb of Rahr 2row from Midwest Supplies to Panhandle TX
$85.90 plus $55.58 shipping is $141.48 or 1.4148 per pound

100lb of Rahr 2row from MoreBeer to Panhandle TX
$143.00 plus free shipping is $143.00 or 1.43 per pound

120lb of Rahr 2row from Austin Homebrew to Panhandle TX
$143.97 plus $6.99 shipping is $150.96 or 1.258 per pound

Clearly there is a savings for Otis by ordering from Austin Homebrew. The total price of 100 pounds at NB, MW, or B3 will get Otis approx. 113 pounds at Austin Homebrew.

Just realized that my LHBS also has the 7lb Barley Crusher for $120.00... I guess I should drive over there while gas is cheap!

See all that I miss when I write off a store?

Good on ya Forrest on the grain pricing, and like I said, the shipping is what does it.

Brewers 2-Row Malt Unmilled 40 lb $47.99 AHS
American 2-row (Briess) 50lbs $47.95 Midwest
Rahr 2-Row 50# $41.99 Northern Brewer
2-row Brewers Malt 50# $45.95 High Gravity Homebrew Supply
American Pale (50 lb Sack) $33.00 MoreBeer

Now that I have done my homework, tell me what Kind of deal you are really cutting here?
None of these other establishments have a problem selling 50 lb sacks, why is it so different?
What I see going on here is that you are trying to profit an extra sack out of every 4 sacks you sell.
What I am saying try and sell the 50# sacks and see how many you would sell in todays market....

Forest i have been doing business with you for a number of years, the only thing I am disapointed about are the grain prices. and you guys need to close the gap a little on your mill.

For example for Otis the Drunk:

100lb of Rahr 2row from Northern Brewer to Panhandle TX
$83.98 plus $58.48 shipping is $142.46 or 1.4246 per pound

100lb of Rahr 2row from Midwest Supplies to Panhandle TX
$85.90 plus $55.58 shipping is $141.48 or 1.4148 per pound

100lb of Rahr 2row from MoreBeer to Panhandle TX
$143.00 plus free shipping is $143.00 or 1.43 per pound

120lb of Rahr 2row from Austin Homebrew to Panhandle TX
$143.97 plus $6.99 shipping is $150.96 or 1.258 per pound

Clearly there is a savings for Otis by ordering from Austin Homebrew. The total price of 100 pounds at NB, MW, or B3 will get Otis approx. 113 pounds at Austin Homebrew.

Morebeer will ship 100 pounds of grain, for free?

Latest posts

Back