Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlgp

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing my second brew. It's of Ed Wort's Apfelwein. I used all the ingredients to the T except I used honey (I looked it up online and someone said I could use it as a substitute) and pitched in the yeast. It's fermenting now and has been in there for a little over 24 hours. The airlock bubbled once or twice but hasn't moved more than that.

Does it take a while?

Thanks!

I hope the poster was right about honey and I can look forward to an awesome brew of Ed Wort's Apfelwein.

Yep. Give it time. It will kick in over the next 24 hours depending on temp.

If you have a 3 piece airlock, make sure you have it at least half way full with vodka.

Thanks Ed. Cheers for posting the recipe!

I just have the one piece airlock. I didn't have any vodka or I def. would've put some in there :D

Bacteria can't live in it I believe is the theory. Also, if you get suckback that it just boosts the alcohol.

Fermentation takes up to 72 hours to start.

Also, the yeast you're using is a lot slower fermentation than ale or lager yeast. Fermentation will take weeks. My batch which is aging now took 5 weeks before it cleared. Once it starts bubbling walk away and don't do anything to it.

As far as using honey, it's doable, see mead. You're going to have some dry honey flavors (not sweet) in your Apfelwein. It probably will be just fine.

so what you're saying is the yeast is interchangeable? that's awesome!

is there a reason montrachet yeast was called for and not anything else?

Use whatever you want for yeast, but if you want German Apfelwein flavor, use Montrachet.

Yeast turns sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide. These are the two main things you need. Even bread yeast would "work", though I strongly, strongly suggest you don't use this. It'd be a waste.

The Montrachet is, I believe, champagne yeast if I'm not mistaken. That means that the fermentation time is slower, the final result is dry (and it is), and the byproducts that are given off are characteristic of champagne/wine.

Adding different yeasts will give you different flavors, sometimes wildly different flavors. I can only imagine what a hefe yeast would taste like. Clove & banana in applewine? I'll pass...

:ban:

Back