Gelatinization of all the grain prior to Beta-glucan or Protein rests?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
I'm throwing in the towel and asking on this one.

What I'm looking at doing is out of necessity and not choice and normal barley users don't need to consider anything of this sort, but the situation is a toss up between the normal Gluten free forum, and the normal barley forum since this is an extrapolation based on barley behavior.

The situation that I am considering is thus:
Using malted sorghum, which technically has enough diastatic power to self convert, I will be doing a grain mash. I expect to have no issues during the dough in and acid rest.
At this point I have a divide.
I have to gelatinize the sorghum grains separately, since they have a gelatinization temperature of around 69C-75C or 156F-168F, after the point at which Alpha enzymes will start to denature quickly and far past the optimal point of beta amylase.
(Ordinarily, barley will convert at around 64C-67C or 146-158F in comparison)

I'm looking at doing the process of removing the grain and gelatinizing and adding back either prior to the:
a) beta glucan rest (due to the temperature being the lowest after the acid rest, and having the least enzyme denaturing involved).
b) protein rest (due to the beta glucan rest being done, and still not hot enough to really have started the enzyme activation process) or
c) saccharification rests, (which means I have to chill the enzyme filled wort, cook the grains, and then add it all back and bring up the temperature again.)

(again it's choices of
a) acid rest, separate grain gelatinization then betaglucan, protein rest, sacchrification.
b) acid, betaglucan, gelatinization, protein, saccharification or
c) acid, beta-glucan, protein, gelatinization, saccharification)

While I will be doing a step process, I don't think the decoction process will work, since it won't be gelatinizing all the grains during each boil process. Plus I don't have that much enzyme to spare.

Has anyone something similar? Will the starch being gelatinized this early cause an issue with the beta glucan or protein rest? Will the enzymes still be released from the grain at this point and by removing the grain cause a further lack of already low enzymes, or can I expect that the bulk of them have been released during the initial dough-in process?

I rather expect that the answer will be that it's untried, as it's completely unnecessary for barley malt brewers, and we gluten free folk have not posted our full results yet. If this is the case, any educated guesses?

As I consider, I lean towards using a process of gelatinizing the grain after the acid rest, but before the betaglucan, only if for the reason that pre-gelatanized grains tend to go through this step. I'm afraid that this will mean a potential reduction of enzymes for the later steps, if enzymes are not released during the first rest.

Back