NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale Suggestions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiebrewbie

Reaction score
I am going to do the NB Smashing Pumpkin kit and would like to know about adding some other ingredients. I would like to add some brown sugar and some more cinnamon. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how much of each ingredient and when they should be added. I’m looking for flavor over aroma. I had some Pumpkin Ale last year at Jolly Pumpkin in TC MI and it was out of this world. I would love to be able to come close to that. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

:drunk:

Bump on this! i am ordering this kit this weekend for my second brew and want it to turn out great!

I can't say for the spices, but for the brown sugar, you're not going to get much flavor (none?). It's pretty much entirely fermentable and will just dry out your beer and maybe up the ABV a bit. I'd leave it out if it's not in the recipe.

I just got the same kit. I think I am going to try the baked canned pumpkin that I saw on another pumpkin beer thread

Two cans of pumpkin baked for 60 mins on 350 degrees.

I made this kit a few weeks ago. I added 2 cans of pumpkin to the mash with a couple pounds of rice hulls. I did add 1/2 lb of dark brown sugar in the last 10 mins of boil and my beer dried out a bit. I ended up boiling up a bit of lactose and Maltodextrin and racking the beer on top of it in secondary. If you insist on brown sugar, than I would mash a few degrees higher (154 instead of 152). I wouldn't add anymore spices. You don't need much

Back