Bottled a half a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I bottled my Fat Tire clone. Had a half a bottle left over, but kept it in the fridge...till tonight. Well, it actually carbonated, and tated great. So, if you have one of those half beers, when you bottle, keep it in the fridge for a while. It will be OK.

Back when I was still bottling, I normally sampled up anything that was left over but also bottled plenty of not full bottles and just treated them like the rest.... Never a problem.

About 2 months ago I bottled my Fat Tire clone. Had a half a bottle left over, but kept it in the fridge...till tonight. Well, it actually carbonated, and tated great. So, if you have one of those half beers, when you bottle, keep it in the fridge for a while. It will be OK.

I'm skeptical. I've done it once (bottled half a bottle of beer), and the excessive headspace resulted in far less carbonation in the beer (since there was much more space to fill/pressurize with CO2, so less stayed in solution). Also, I find it unlikely that an ale yeast would actively ferment at refrigerator temperatures.

I suppose you might have gotten some carbonation (I doubt you're outright lying), but in my experience, a "half-bottle," even when stored under ideal bottle-carbing conditions (70° F), will end up significantly undercarbed.

I'm skeptical. I've done it once (bottled half a bottle of beer), and the excessive headspace resulted in far less carbonation in the beer (since there was much more space to fill/pressurize with CO2, so less stayed in solution). Also, I find it unlikely that an ale yeast would actively ferment at refrigerator temperatures.

I suppose you might have gotten some carbonation (I doubt you're outright lying), but in my experience, a "half-bottle," even when stored under ideal bottle-carbing conditions (70° F), will end up significantly undercarbed.

I have had the same experience with low carbonation of the beer for a bottle that was only two-thirds full. Good CO2 release when the bottle was opened though. The beer also the taste of being lightly oxidized.

Back