Opinions on my attempt at an American Dry-Hopped Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikeon3

Reaction score
Figured a late-summer/early fall beer might be good to cook up right about now and have on hand right at the 3-4 month sweet spot. Let me know what y'all think of this lil' diddy.

8# 2-row
2# Munich
1# Biscuit
0.5# Crystal 120

0.5oz Chinook @60m
0.5oz Centennial @15m
0.5oz Centennial @5m
0.5oz Chinook @5m
0.5oz Centennial @DryHop
0.25oz Chinook @Dryhop

Either WLP001 or US-05, whichever I want to wake up.
Fermented @68F

Calculator I'm using pins my vitals right around what you see below (adjusting for 70% eff)

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.013
IBU: 26
SRM: 13.1
ABV: 5.6

Opinions?

Not enough IBU's for me with a .057 ale. I like a combination of 60 and 120L crystal malt. I would lighten up on the biscuit malt too.

Happy brewing

I brewed an Amber recently too! I'm sipping mine now. I used some Munich malt and a combo of C40 and C120. I hit an OG of 1.052 with FG1.011. I had 40 IBU and that is just perfect. It starts a little sweet and malty with hints of the flavoring hops, then rounds out with a slightly bitter finish. My point is, with the malts you are using and your OG, I must agree with Blender. I would say 35-40 IBU is in order, and that you should reduce the Biscuit malt. I'd take the biscuit down to no more than .5 lbs because that stuff is powerful.

I also had an amber in the 35 IBU scale which blew people out of the water. I would be tempted to scale up IBUs and scale back OG a little. The 1.057 OG is really in the APA range and needs closer to 40-45 IBUs for proper balance.

Also, if you're dry hopping in a hop bag in a carboy, use 2 bags. Otherwise it's like trying to pull a pair of elephant nuts through the bung hole if you use one bag.