Rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan249

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am very new to the sport and am in need of some help. I started my first batch a few days ago, it is a Brewmaster IPA. I got alot of bubbly action in the airlock the first couple of days and now nothing. I was told by the guys at the homebrew shop 3-4 days but I just wanted to check and see if it is to early to rack to my secondary?
Thanks

Most of us recommend the 1-2-3 method- I week in primary, 2 in secondary, and 3 in bottles before drinking. I always leave mine in primary at least a week, usually 10 days or so because I'm pretty lazy. You won't harm it by leaving it.

If you check the s.g., and the beer is done fermenting, you won't hurt it by moving it, though. If you move it too early, you may get a stuck fermentation. My advice it to leave it for the one week.

Lorena

I agree with lorenae. Some fermentations can be completed in 24-48 hours, but best to check gravity for 3-4 days in a row. If its the same, go ahead and rack

I always see this recommended but I would never suggest checking gravity that much. The first issue is that it's a pain in the A to sanitize your baster/thief every time and you're still risking infection. Then there's the 4-6 ounces of brew you keep removing on each test that I'd much rather leave in the carboy. Leave it be for at least a week. I test SG when I rack to secondary, which I do on day 8-20 depending on when I get to it and it's only to see if there was a stuck fermentation. As others will mention, there is no hurry to rack and you're not going to get it finished any faster.

Back