Show me your mini-fridge fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I am in the process of designing a fermentation chamber out of an old mini fridge. I'd like to see how you put yours together.

2x4 frame, foam paneling, silicone, door, weather stripping to seal door, temp controller, and ceramic heating lamp

thats pretty much what I am going to be using when I build mine, unless I get a fridge for dirt cheap or free

-=Jason=-

FermentationCabinet.jpg

I used furring strips (1.5*1.5) w/ 1.5 rigid insulation, 1/2 plywood on the outside and some PVC sheeting on the inside. Basically made a box with an extension on one end that "slid" over the fridge on one end. Used some galvanized sheet metal to fold over the door opening so the magnetic strip form the door still worked. From ambient temps, it only cycles about 1/10 of an hour.

I used one of those "E-bay" temp controllers for heating & cooling. Only difference since this pic are the electrical connections for the heating & fan circulation inside the chamber. I used 2 old PC power cables and the receptacles off the power supply from an old PC. I added them to the left of the door.

Mine is purely a plywood box extension which is sized to the outside of the fridge and lined with 1 inch or so pink foam insulation. Add some hard board for a slick floor, a Love TSS2 temperature controller, and a brewer's heating pad and you've got fermentation temperature control!

1912-outside-shot.jpg

1913-radioshack-muffin-fan-keep-air-moving-inside.jpg

1914-my-better-bottle-thermowell-set-up.jpg

Back