Split a 10G batch into IPA and BIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronomical

Reaction score
I'd like to just mash a 10 gallon IPA and split the boil into two pots. In one pot I'd plan on steeping the specialty grains, as it climbed towards 170, on its way to a boil. One pot boils faster, so, cooling wort wont be an issue.

Still havent decided what IPA to go with for this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Please post more information.

Kettle size(s):
Carboy/bucket size(s):
Total boil size:
Total desired batch size:
Ingredients on hand, or ingredients you would like to use:
Desired flavor/aroma/mouthfeel, i.e. your overall goal for this beer:
Possibly listing a few commercial IPAs you enjoy:
...etc. etc. etc.

You could utilize a twin boil, but this is more successful if you have two deep ice-baths with a ton of ice. Either that, or use one ice-bath and one wort chiller. 10 gallons split takes longer to cool than you think.

I would do it as you are planning. A 30 minute or more hopstand/whirlpool would be perfect for the 0 min addition hops.

Please post more information.

Kettle size(s):2 keggles, a 56quart MLT cooler, and two 7 gallon pots
Carboy/bucket size(s):plenty of 7g buckets or 6.5 gallon carboys
Total boil size:two ~7 gallon boils
Total desired batch size:two ~5.5 gallon batches
Ingredients on hand, or ingredients you would like to use:will be buying it all after finalized decision.. nothing on hand
Desired flavor/aroma/mouthfeel, i.e. your overall goal for this beer:citrusy hop forwardness with a distinct malty background. id like to taste the specialty grains, not just have a black colored IPA/CDA/ADA...
Possibly listing a few commercial IPAs you enjoy: green flash west coast, hop stoopid, hop rod rye, racer 5, detour dipa, boulevard dipa, dreadnaught, mango, doublejack
...etc. etc. etc.

You could utilize a twin boil, but this is more successful if you have two deep ice-baths with a ton of ice. Either that, or use one ice-bath and one wort chiller. 10 gallons split takes longer to cool than you think.

I filled in all the questions in bold... Im mostly interested in using teh exact same grain bill, minus specialty, carapils, adjuncts, and crystal, for both beers. I also want to use identical hop schedules.. The end goal being and IPA and a CDA where the only difference is the additional flavoring, body, and color. I need help finding an IPA that would be suitable for this. Perhaps any would work, I don't know... For instance, should I make the Pliny clone and split it into double boils with steeped specialty grains in one making it a pliny CDA? I'm not sure what I should avoid or look for. Perhaps I should be looking for an IPA that uses "C" hops. Nuff said... I'm doing it regardless, I'm just not sure WHAT it is that I will settle on.

I hope this helps you to help me. Thankyou for your help.

From your list of favorite commercial IPAs, you would be wise to listen to the "Can You Brew It" podcasts by the Jamil Show, specifically the GFWC IPA clone. Just google it. A surprising fact about this beer (and a few others you listed) is that while they certainly bombard you with hops and bitterness, the amount of characterful non-base malts like crystal and rye is quite high for the style, approx. 12-18% of the grist. For the CDA, I would shoot for a Stone 15th Anniversary Clone. Research as much as possible about it. It's supremely citrusy and right up there with the malt character which blends well with the hops. Exactly what you're looking for.

So I have a few recommendations. Stock up on Citra, Centennial, Columbus, Corn Sugar, American 2-row, Crystal 60, Carapils, Carafa & Chocolate for the CDA, and English yeast (WLP002 or 007, which I think both Green Flash and Stone uses as a house yeast). The Pliny clone is a good general guideline on the malt breakdown for a pale IPA... i.e, 87% 2-row, 5% Corn Sugar, 4% Crystal, 4% Carapils... give or take. Mash low, ferment low, hopburst the hell out of it, and dryhop at the rate of 0.50 - 0.75 oz. hops per gallon of beer.

This is a good idea. Sort of a black vs. white, or ying vs. yang of IPAs.

Tip: When you choose which wort to cool first at a quicker rate, choose the pale IPA. It will be easier to hide errors in the dark IPA.

Back