Particles, Break material?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I've done my first two AG and I'm wondering, why does my beer look SO different once it starts boiling and after the hot break with AG on a Turkey Fryer? It looks like whater with tiny brown snowflakes floating all around. Almost like... Miso Soup... I'm not worried about it, just curious. Is this the effect of having a natural Hot Break? And I really don't understand the Cold Break either... I was thinking about it last night on th Graveyard shift at work...

Best,
Ben

Miso soup ! - thats a perfect description of what the hot break looks like. You get alot more in AG because most of it was already removed from extract during its processing.

Hot break, as mentioned above is the proteins coagulating. The cold break is the cold shocking of what is left in the wort (protein wise) that require the thermal shock to precipitate them. If you ever make a recipe with lots of Wheat you'll get huge amounts of hot break, at least this has been what I have encountered. Going from extract to AG you really see a difference in amount of hot break.

Just to add, those proteins are the cause (the ones that need the cold thermal shock) of chill haze in the finished product which is one of the reasons to strive for a quick cool down of the wort post boil.

Back