How long is long enough in a keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
I know this is a really vague question but I just put my first beer in the keg and I/m ready to start drinking the heavenly goodness that I'm sure awaits me in the kegs.

However, I know some beers take longer to condition than others and 3 weeks isn't always enough. I have an Irish Red (1.052) ready for transfer this week and the Austin Homebrew reviewers recommended a long (2 -6 months!) wait. I can do it if I have to, but it's just so damn hard to wait:mad:! Plus my next brew will be a double chocolate stout that also seems to have a recommended long wait for maximum flavor. This will put me a long ways out from being able to enjoy the next kegged beer!

So, basically (and I feel like I already know the answer) is this just the way it is? And does every low to medium gravity beer need this much time?

I know patience is a virtue, but I usually throw my virtues away after a couple of homebrews anyway!:)

I would not wait 6 months for a 1052 red. I can see the 2 months because I let my fermenters go for a month, then a few days cold crashing, then a few on gelatin then 1-2 weeks on gas. How long has it been since yeast pitch on the red??

I would not wait 6 months for a 1052 red. I can see the 2 months because I let my fermenters go for a month, then a few days cold crashing, then a few on gelatin then 1-2 weeks on gas. How long has it been since yeast pitch on the red??

It's been since December the 3rd so two weeks. And I was planning on 1 more week in the secondary and then transfer to keg. But the 2+ month wait was recommended as a wait in the keg not including the 3 weeks I will ferment.

Whatha think?

And do you mind going into more detail on your keg process? Is this generally what you do for all your midrange gravity beers?

It sounds like you're doing a version of the "set it and forget it" method without really forcing the carbonation process, but instead letting it condition for a good 3-4 weeks.

You know how I know if its ready? I taste some :) It doesn't hurt anything, and if its still tasting a bit "green" then let it sit a few more weeks... I'd say almost any beer I've made 4 weeks is a minumum except maybe the IPA's I've done which seem to be ready fast... Some need longer due to complexities of barley or yeast or whatnot, but effectively, the best guage of your beer for you, is them taste buds :)

Grain to Glass in 4-6 weeks is usually the rule of thumb, with proper caveats for styles.

Once clear enough, I rack from the secondary (or primary if a few weeks) to the keg and put it on gas. It may be carbed up in 3-5 days, but it smooths out after the second week under gas.

You'll find a better beer if you become patient to let the magic happen. Generally, the bigger the beer, the longer to age. You'll be happier in the long run.

You could bottle a 12 pack and keg the rest. Save the 12 for a few months and see if would be worth the wait for the next time you brew it.

Or just buy more kegs and brew some beers that don't need to age.

Bull

You know how I know if its ready? I taste some :) It doesn't hurt anything, and if its still tasting a bit "green" then let it sit a few more weeks... I'd say almost any beer I've made 4 weeks is a minumum except maybe the IPA's I've done which seem to be ready fast... Some need longer due to complexities of barley or yeast or whatnot, but effectively, the best guage of your beer for you, is them taste buds :)

So, you do each beer the same way? You hook them up to CO2 and carbonate and condition for 3-4 weeks, taste, and if not ready then you take off CO2 and let it ride for another couple of weeks? Or you leave on CO2 in the fridge for the duration until you're ready to try again?

pretty much, there are a few beers that you should have a higher PSI on, but I'm the lazy, keep it at about 7psi kinda guy, and it works great for me. the longer its there on co2 the more it absorbs to the right point of drinking... But I am known to drink it a bit early sometimes too, if its tasting great but not quite carbed, it still tastes great :p In fact, if I recall, back in the day, in england they used to regularly serve ales at room temperature w/ very little if any carbing :)

+1 on starting to drink it early, especially with your first few kegged beers. It is part of the learning process and it will teach you to be patient with the next beer.

How will you know the effects of sitting in the keg if you don't taste it along the way? I say drink up and enjoy the ride.

I like it! Especially if I can let them ride a couple weeks at a time. This will at least give me something to do with them while they're in the kegs that long besides just look at them!! But how long can beer stay in the keg before it, you know, goes downhill?

I'll start drinking mine after 1 week but very slowly. After a while you'll just get a "feel" for when it's ready. some beers like wits and wheats will be better young where a complex porter will be better old after the flavors mellow and blend. Regardless of OG.

For reference, I had a 4 week old Kolsch that I am pushing through for Christmas and New Years. Put it on gas 4 days ago, and burst-carbed it. for two days. Lowered the gas, vented it, and it's at normal serving and carb pressure. It's not 100% carbed but it was drinkable last night!

Usually it won't hit keg and gas until 6 weeks old. I cold crashed it (instead of lagering it) for a half week to drop some of the yeast out. It was pretty clear going into the keg, and will finish lagering as it sits under gas.

I look forward to it in a couple of weeks though!

Back