What do I need for kegging!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahitz3

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to brewing and kegging so I am asking you vets to help me compile a list of what I will need on the gas side of things. First let me start off by telling you what I already have: Fridge with 3 taps, 3 cornelius kegs, and of course beer. Now I think I will need a 5 lb co2 tank with a 3 way switch so I can force carb my beer. After that, can I use a 2.5 lb tank in the fridge with the 3 kegs? Not to sure how to do that, so any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

You're on the right track and have almost everything you need you lucky ba$tard :p Go to the kegging/bottling section and click on one of the sticky threads. They will have all the info that you need from parts to preparation to serving. Good luck and Happy Brewing! :mug:

Sounds like you would like a dual body regulator, so you can force carb one while serving from another. You will need some sort of manifold to split one of those gas lines into two. You'll need all the gas lines and beer lines, quick disconnects are great to have.

I would just get one 5 lb tank and use that in the fridge. If you do the two tank method you are describing you would either need two seperate regulators or would have to constantly be switching the regulator from one tank to the other...which to me would seem unnecessary and annoying. Not to mention you add increased risk of dropping/breaking your regulator, which is not a cheap part. Just my .02.

Look here http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=327

The picture shows everything you will need, you would probably substitute the regulator there for a dual body.

Hmmm for the GAS side...

* CO2 tank w/ CO2 (if your CO2 tank valve does not have an O-ring in the seating face, you'll need a washer to go between the tank and regulator.)
* Primary Regulator
* GAS side Pin lock (or Ball Lock) Connector
* Gas Hose
* Hose Clamps

If you choose to use connectors and/or a regulator that have a 1/4" male flare fitting instead of a barbed connection, you'll need 1/4" female flare-to-barb adapters at each end of the hose. I recommend these for anyone that might want to change from pin-lock to ball-lock, or use commercial couplers for dispensing beer...they make switching ends very easy.

You can put the pressure to the tank that you want to pour from...and move from keg to keg as desired. This will become a hassle after a while...so you'll probably add...

A Gas Manifold... They connect to your Gas line...then multiple gas lines can branch off the manifold to individual kegs. IT makes it easy to add/subtract kegs from your keezer. The only drawback is that they can only route the CO2...they cannot control the pressure...so You have to pick 1 pressure for your regulator that will work well for ALL your beers. I think this is acceptable for most people.

If it's NOT acceptable...maybe because you want some lower carbed "real ales" or higher carbed soft drinks...you could go with a "Double-Primary" regulator if you're looking at having just two different pressures. If you're looking at MORE than 2 pressures...you'd probably be better off with a Single Double Gauge Primary regulator (which is what most people start with) and then run the hose from it...inside the kegerator where it connects to secondary regulators, which can be linked together to get as many different pressures as you desire. Some people go so far as to have a separate secondary regulator for each keg.

I started with the 5# cylinder. The only problem with cylinders is...the cost per # of CO2 is usually higher in small cyliners than large. My 5# cylinder costs $15 to fill...vs my 50# cylinder which cost $42 to fill... so even though the initial cost of the cylinder may save you some money...in the long run it might cost more because of the price per fill. Check with your gas supplier. If you have the space and don't need to be portable...a 20# tank is a good one to have. And supplement with Paintball tanks for traveling to parties for short term setups. You can a separate regulator for these outings designed to go with the paintball tank...or use an adapter with your existing regulator. Paintball websites have "fill stations" which are basically a high pressure connector with valves so that you can transfer some liquid co2 from your large tank to your paintball tank. I did this initially...and eventually bought a 50# siphon tank to fill everything with. They have a dip tube so that when you open the valve...liquid co2 from the bottom of the tank comes out. This is only good for filling other tanks, or some people make their own dry ice.

Ok, so instead of a two step process, I would just do one step by force carbing the 3 kegs, and then after a few days just drop the psi to be able to serve?

Yeah, that would be the simplest way.

To add on to Chuggs comments - if you have the space I would fully agree with him and say get a larger tank if possible. I don't have the space so I'm forced to use a 5#. A 10# c02 tank is roughly the size of a 5 gallon corny keg to give you an idea.

Yeah, that would be the simplest way.

To add on to Chuggs comments - if you have the space I would fully agree with him and say get a larger tank if possible. I don't have the space so I'm forced to use a 5#. A 10# c02 tank is roughly the size of a 5 gallon corny keg to give you an idea.

Wow, that would definitely save some dough, but I wasn't sure if it could be done that way. How long do you think the 5 lb would last if I'm running 3 kegs on it at all times?

I've not run out of my first 5# tank. But i've heard you will get about 10 kegs dispensed, give or take depending how you carb them...I think if you force carb them all you will get about 8 kegs out of it.

The sad part is that you apparently get next to no indication of when your close to out of gas. Luckily I got a free 3# tank from a neighbor that will be my emergency tank.

Yeah, I think I will just get a 3# and keep it for a backup. I don't even want to know what it feels like to go to drink beer and be out of co2. ahhhhhh! So to wrap up, I will need a 5# tank with a 3 way splitter, and I can just force carbonate it in the fridge for 2 days or so, and then drop down to serving psi? Sounds alot easier than what I was about to do.

Chuggs list was very complete:

* CO2 tank w/ CO2 (if your CO2 tank valve does not have an O-ring in the seating face, you'll need a washer to go between the tank and regulator.)
* Primary Regulator
* GAS side Pin lock (or Ball Lock) Connector
* Gas Hose
* Hose Clamps

You need a regulator, and from the regulator you run gas line to a manifold/splitter (splitter is useless without regulator). From the manifold you run gas lines to the kegs.

If you want to have two pressures at once you will need the dual body reg. If you get this then you would really only need a two way manifold. If you are happy with one pressure then a single body reg will be fine. and you will need the 3 way manifold.

Back