yeast amount for smaller batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I decided to start brewing some smaller 2 gallon batches just to experiment with different recipes until I find a couple I like. Being pretty new to the brewing process, I'm wondering about how much yeast to use for smaller batches. Do I still dump in the entire packet for a smaller batch as I would a 5 gallon batch, for example? Or if I start fermenting two different 2 gallon batches on the same day that use the same type of yeast, can I split a standard yeast packet one would use for a 5 gallon batch and put 1/2 into each 2 gallon batch?

Thanks,

Jeff

It depends upon what type of yeast you're using. If it's dry yeast, I'd say about half of an 11.5 gram packet should do it. If it's a smack-pack or White Labs vial, pitch the whole thing in there. Liquid yeast needs to be cultured and increased (ideally) before it can be used in a 5 gallon batch, but should have around-about the cell counts you need for two.

Back