cluster substitute not happy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I substituted cluster hops for bittering in my Bucking Brown, a tried and true recipe that I have brewed many times now. I use Horizon for bittering and couldnt get my hands on any of them at the time I needed to brew this beer, so I used cluster and they seem very harsh and also seem to linger on the palate. anyone tried these hops?? anyone have any substitute ideas for horizon??? Also tell me about your substitute problems and succeses with hops these days
Cheers
JJ

im curious about cluster. so basically they were a widely used hop a long time ago, but the overall consensus nowadays is that they are at best an acceptable taste if they grow on you or at worst harsh and lacking flavour. yet... all brewstores seem to carry them? does anyone really use them or is it just to represent past homebrewing??

We do sell them in the store...Or should I say "have them in the store" I dont think they really sell all that much.
Man that thread was started a long time ago....

Back