fermentation length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
took off in less than six hours. ran good for 12 hours slowed down to 1 bubble a min in the next six hours and then stopped. nothing...not a single bubble in 3 days. never had 1 do this. safbrew-33 dry yeast. used this yeast a lot no problems. re-hydro...all my yeast. does this sound normal? have not lifted the lid to take any readings. not a real high gravity beer. this just seems odd to me. extract kit. stirred the heck out of the wort. never had this happen before.

I've had a few finish primary in two days. Leave it alone for at least a week, and if you can stand it, three weeks. Then crack the fermentor and if you figure out what a hydrometer is and how to use it, check the final gravity (the search function in this forum and in the Home Brew Wiki help a lot with this sort of thing). Then check it again a couple days later and if the reading is exactly the same and in the 1.005 to 1.015 range, the beer is ready for bottling or kegging.

spottedbass said:
I always rack to secondary.

Lots of folks are moving away from this step. I have a test batch running now. The idea that the yeast will clean up after themselves if you give them a chance is, errrr, enticing.

spottedbass said:
yes i can check it. i always rack to secondary.. i just have never seen this before. i guess i was asking if you guys have.

I have. I've also had beers that bubbled 2-3/min for a month in secondary.

The point? Airlock activity (or lack thereof) is pretty much irrelevant. Hydrometer readings are the best way to understand what's going on with your beer.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
what is that? are they useful?

A hydrometer is the ONLY way to know your beer is 'done'. its also the only way to know how much alcohol is in the beer.

a hydrometer is to brewers, as a tape measure is to carpenters. Sure, you can eye ball it...but when the house comes out sloped, you only have yourself to blame.

this is a kit, porter with some steeped grains. it says fg should be 1.014, hydro has read 1.020 for three days. og was 1.042, has been in primary for 8 days. what should i do next? i need the primary, can i just rack it to secondary for a few weeks? do i need to pitch more yeast? if so do i stirr the primary again? or would steeping grains cause this reading? kinda at a loss here, please help!!!

Latest posts

Back