08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
Chinook will definitely be too harsh for your main bittering hop. I used 1.5 ounces in a five gallon batch over a year ago.....it's just now becoming almost drinkable. It had an almost scorched taste that just "stuck to my tongue."

Brewpastor said:
....works hard, adds a few nice flavors, but not so much as to fruit out the beer...

I know you're getting pounded with questions, but you seem to be in an answering/writing mood. Could you explain "fruiting out the beer'? What do you think that fruitness would add and why is it undesireable?

I imagine its personal taste and style inappropriate, but whereas the crystal is there to add dark fruit character why would yeast fruitiness be too much? Say if you were to use the fruitier Britsh Ale yeast?

Lastly, thank you for that response, very useful and interesting information.

Brewpastor said:
I love EKG but I would rather add more then increase my boil time with the hops. I will boil this beer a long time, which I forgot to mention in the earlier post, but I keep the hops to 60 minutes. You could go and I would think it would be a great addition, with an all EKG beer. I just went with the Horizons because I will make 20-24 gallons and that will be a lot of EKGs. But then again, it is nothing compared to buying this much commercial RIS!
Sorry I did mean to make this a 90 min boil and yes definetly only boil the hops 60 min max. on the EKG only that is the porter that I am drinking right now and its probably the best porter I have had to date HB or commercial.
JJ

Brewpastor said:
I would go with the 56 on the yeast. Galena is cool. I would avoid the Cs, and Northern Brewer would be interesting but maybe a bit harsh.

Do you mean 58?

Thanks for all the info!

I will probably go with all EKG

I was going to make a partial mash recipe for this...but probably won't convert that until before I brew. I'm buying more equipment that will allow me to do a larger mash....4 pounds won't cut it for this sucker...

This is kinda fun...I think i'll need to get another carboy, too, with the amount i've been brewing lately :)

DeathBrewer said:

I was going to make a partial mash recipe for this...but probably won't convert that until before I brew. I'm buying more equipment that will allow me to do a larger mash....4 pounds won't cut it for this sucker...

This is kinda fun...I think i'll need to get another carboy, too, with the amount i've been brewing lately :)
EKG is such a mild hop that your going to have to really boost the IBU I have almost 40 in my porter and although its the best porter I have ever had I will brew it yet 1 more time and boost the IBU to probably almost 50 just because EKG is so mild
JJ

I'm a malt guy...for most of my beers, i prefer my hops to simply balance the brew.

that being said, since this brew is going to be 80+ IBUs, i'll have to add enough EKG to make just that.

:mug:

DeathBrewer said:
I'm a malt guy...for most of my beers, i prefer my hops to simply balance the brew.

that being said, since this brew is going to be 80+ IBUs, i'll have to add enough EKG to make just that.

:mug:

That is right, but it should be pretty balanced between the malt and hops.

As for my "fruited out" comment, what I meant is that some ale yeasts, particularly some of the british yeasts, can really put off a lot of fruity esters. These really stand out at warmer fermentation temps. In some beers they are great and really needed to make the style, but in this beer, the malt and alcohol will give it all the richness it needs and the esters will cloud it up and make it too rich. It is hard to explain but maybe I can think about it and get you a clearer answer.

DeathBrewer said:

Try out Styrian Goldings. They are the same genetically as Fuggles but with a much higher AA%.

Brewpastor said:
Any of the Crystals will work. Try something in the general range. I would go higher rather then lower personally.

cool, Thats what I did with your barley wine. Where are you getting the 55 and 75 Crystals?

Perfect timing all around for me! For one, 8-8-08 falls on a Friday - what better day of the week to crack open a beer?! Secondly, I'm down to the last four bottles of my RIS and need to replenish.

Looking good, BP. Looking good!

I've been looking for a good Stout to brew anyway, and what better stout to brew than one that Brewpastor came up with?

I'm all over this. I'm not sure about the 1-1-08 brewdate though :drunk:

Im in ive never brewed or even tasted RIS. id be up for drinking it then cus if i wait to brew it on 888 then id have to wait a lot longer just to drink it.

This will be the biggest beer I've ever attempted, but I'm up for the challenge. Having only really brewed 4 batches of beer so far (all extract/steep), I have no input for the recipe. From what I've been reading though, I'll make whatever BP throws up and know it'll be good. :mug:

I'm in. I've been thinking about an RIS for sometime now.

I want to keep it all grain so I'll have to go with a smaller batch, maybe 2.5 - 3 gallons. Other than scaling to fit my rig, I'm going to follow BP's recipe exactly. This is my first RIS and I see no need to dink around.

Brewing on 1-1-08 is fine with me. New Year's Eve lost its party appeal years ago when I stopped dropping acid.

I REALLY like the way this is shaping up. The fact that everyone is willing to use BP's recipe is awesome! Recipe by committee always tend to be a PITA (ref. last year's 777 brew). I'd love to critique, criticize, add, or subtract from BP's recipe a few posts back, but I just can't come up with anything to change. I wanna brew it! I'll probably scale it to 10 gallons unless I can manage to build that monster mash tun I've been designing. Perhaps that'd be a good inaugural brew for it if I can convince SWMBO that I need another brew project.

This rocks!

I'm sorry I missed all of the discussion yesterday, but I'm definately on board. I like the idea of brewing early and drinking on 8.8.8, especially since most people should be able to find some time to brew over the new year's holiday. I have only one small problem...my mash tun isn't big enough.

I guess I need to build a bigger one...:D :ban:

I'm in. Recipe looks great. I'm planning on getting into PM at the beginning of '08, and what better way than with my first RIS.

I just hope 8/8/08 is a nice, chilly, non-hazy, non-humid late summer day here in western PA. Although a nice RIS on the back deck on a Friday evening in August doesn't sound half bad.

Cheers,

I just picked up a 2-gallon Rubbermaid cooler in order to convert it to a PM MLT. I'll be looking forward to trying it out on this RIS! :D

Man, I just had my first RIS. It was the St. Arnolds Divine Reserve that Attitude sent me.

Oh man was it good. Today was the first REAL day of fall here, got down to 65* when just a few days ago were record highes of 90+. I sat outside with the wind blowing and let the dogs run around while I sipped on the RIS. It was a good half hour.

If BP's 888 is anything like that then I'm in!

Thanks for coming up with the recipe BP!

DeathBrewer said:
i second the need for a partial mash and extract :D

i'd try to convert it myself, but i'm afraid i would butcher the recipe :eek:

73 pounds of grains? 73 pounds?!? I am gonna need a bigger pot!

talleymonster said:
I'm in. I'll be brewing again by then, and hopefully I'll be All-Grain by then. At the very least I'll be PM-ing.

What Talley said goes for me too.
Except I'm not planning to take a break, just planning to get more extract/grain brews under my belt and switch over to AG in time to brew a St. Patties day beer.
Or at least PM-ing.
I'm a mimic, a moron, a mimic, a copyer, an in-the-box thinker... What he said, like I originally said! www.zipitLouT.org

I'll happily be joining the effort!

I'll be planning to brew on 12-31 (Ditto on the comments about hangovers on 1-1, I'm the type that starts brewing at about 7AM, with the goal of being done by mid-afternoon, that way I still get an evening to relax!) and I'll be doing a 5-gal batch following the Pastor's recipe, whatever it finalizes out to be.

I'd also like to echo a +1 to using Galena in this recipe, as it's pretty inexpensive and available around here - most of our LHBS'es are getting low on "Name brand" hops such as EKG.

BREW STRONG!
:fro:

(OH, also, Beerrific, I will TOTALLY ship you a couple bottles for your wedding. PM me if interested.)

I'm am so there dude! I'm sure I can swing brewing on the 1st. I'll be doing the PM version. Hey BP, could you give me a copy of your ProMash file for this PM recipe? Thanks bro!

Lil' Sparky said:
The chocolate light malt looks like it may be hard to come by. What's a good substitute for that?
More beer has it. I'm sure several different online shops shoud have it. I've been using it a few ounces at a time in my browns, scottish ale, and just about anything that is dark and could use some nutty flavor. Buy a few pounds uncrushed and just keep it in some plastic sealed container.

Below is the extract recipe, but without 2-row it's not really a partial mash recipe.

Of course, you can add pale malt and reduce the amount of LME. I'll be using DME myself. I'll post my PM recipe once I figure out how much grain i want to use.

Brewpastor said:
8-8-8 Russian Imperial Stout extract/partial mash

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines

13-F Stout, Russian Imperial Stout
Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.114
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.07
Anticipated OG: 1.08758 Plato: 21.024
Anticipated SRM: 58.5
Anticipated IBU: 82.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts

Evaporation Rate: 12.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.68 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.07707 SG 18.67 Plato

Formulas Used

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

71.1 10.00 lbs. Generic LME - Light Generic 1.03500 7

8.9 1.25 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450
7.1 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.03000 120
3.6 0.50 lbs. Chocolate malt light Great Britain 1.03600 200
2.3 0.33 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.03300 75
2.3 0.33 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
2.3 0.33 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
2.3 0.33 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.03400 75
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

1.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 12.69 78.9 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 3.9 10 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule

Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 4.07
Water Qts: 27.30 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 6.82 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 6.71 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.15 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

DeathBrewer said:
Below is the extract recipe, but without 2-row it's not really a partial mash recipe.

Looking at BP's Partial Mash recipe, shouldn't the crystals and the Caramunich have enough diastatic power to convert?

Warped04 said:
Wow...I'm late getting in on this one...I vote for brewing 12/31/07 :p

Since you guys are using Marris Otter, can us extract guys use English Light LME?

Yes you can. You can even get MO extract from some of the better stocked HBS.

Also, I have never sent a ProMash file. How do I do it. Some folks are asking for a copy of this file.

Wow, looking at the extract version of the recipe (even translated into a PM) tells me that a partial boil is probably not doable....

Will a partial boil with 10 lbs. of extract work? Would you get any hop utilization at all? I'm sure a late extract addition would help. Can someone formulate a partial boil PM version of this? My stove can only handle a 3 gallon boil. :(

Brewpastor said:
Also, I have never sent a ProMash file. How do I do it. Some folks are asking for a copy of this file.

BP - I can host it on my website and you can just refer to it in a hotlink and it'd be a click/download/save to file if you want. PM me if you wish and/or send it to my email address on file here.

shunoshi said:
Wow, looking at the extract version of the recipe (even translated into a PM) tells me that a partial boil is probably not doable....

Will a partial boil with 10 lbs. of extract work? Would you get any hop utilization at all? I'm sure a late extract addition would help. Can someone formulate a partial boil PM version of this? My stove can only handle a 3 gallon boil. :(

The way I do 3gl boils with PMs is to just boil the wort from the mash. You'll have to adjust the hops additions a little bit, but not much. then at the end of the boil add the extract at flameout. Let it sit there for 10 minutes then cool. In that time, the wort will be plenty hot to pasteurize the extract. I plan on brewing this as a PM. I just have to figure out if I need to add some 2-row or MO to the mash for proper conversion.

Brewpastor said:
Yes you can. You can even get MO extract from some of the better stocked HBS.

Yeah...morebeer is going to get some back in on 11/20 i was going to snag up :p

Brewing Clamper said:
The way I do 3gl boils with PMs is to just boil the wort from the mash. You'll have to adjust the hops additions a little bit, but not much. then at the end of the boil add the extract at flameout. Let it sit there for 10 minutes then cool. In that time, the wort will be plenty hot to pasteurize the extract. I plan on brewing this as a PM. I just have to figure out if I need to add some 2-row or MO to the mash for proper conversion.

Ahhh, that would work. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what the answer to the 2-row is. I think next month Brewpastor should post AG/PM/Extract final recipes to the original post so we all know what we're making. I'm up for the 8-8-8 beerswap as well! I think that sounds like a fun idea!

Back