What is a normal amount of lees for this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NooBrew34

Reaction score
I have a gallon of hard cider, that I used re hydrated Windsor ale yeast in with the yeast nutrient and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. This batch has been in Primary for 7 days, and I was thinking to rack it into secondary tomorrow. It has been having some little bubbles at the top, and the airlock throws a bubble every ten seconds or so and has been doing so pretty consistently over the past 5 days. I was curious about the amount of lees in the bottom, there is maybe half of a millimeter. After being in primary for a week, with that much extra sugar, shouldn't I be expecting more? Perhaps I didn't put enough yeast in to begin with, or my non rinse iodine solution was too strong when I re hydrated it? This is my first batch and I'm hoping it will turn out awesome enough for christmas.

Thanks!

Does sounds like a small amount but, every one is different.

Check your SG before you rack to secondary. Sould be 1.000 or less, unless you're trying to keep it sweeter.

Dicky.

Latest posts

Back