One Millionth Person! - Infected Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottarch

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a steam beer just about to finish its third week and go for bottling. I tasted it today and I was starting to get mild (but palatable) oxidised flavours. I decided to drop a bit of polyclar before I bottle it in 48h, but when I opened the fermentor, there were a few tiny lumps of white/gelatenous material and a very thin 'oil slick' film

I am fairly sure it has a mild infection, but perhaps someone knows better than I. Anyway, as there is no real problem with the beer, if I drop the polyclar and bottle it in a few days, is it likely to be fine? I though about dropping some campden tablets to clean it up and adding additional yeast to prime if I need too, but if I can get away with it, I would like to use suspension yeast for priming. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Scott

N.B. There is possibly a mild acetic taste, but I cant be sure

if it is an infection, you probably wouldn't be able to taste any off flavors from it yet if there is only a few small colonies (i could be wrong). can you take a picture? that would help diagnose if it is an infection. your description almost sounds like little yeast boats floating around on top of the beer, which is commonly misdiagnosed as an infection. if it's done fermenting, just bottle it quickly and drink it quickly. make sure you rack from underneath the potential infection.

Brewing beer looks... well.. funky. Most of the reputable guides I've read say you won't know one way or another until you've bottled and the finished product is ready to sample.

Hi Gents,

I don't have the facilities for a decent photo at the mo.

I would assume that it is likely to be fine one way or another as I will be bottling before there is (hopefully) any major issues (if at all). I will be bottling from the bottom tap and I shall avoid bottling the surface where any the issues may be.

I think if I have any problems with my beer, it may be stailing, so I would assume that the polyclar will deal with this. I was not going to change any plans and do anything rash like dumping it regardless of what was said. The general consensus seems to be that whatever is going on, it is unlikely to be an issues, and if it is drink it quick! I am happy with that. Thanks!

Cheers,

P.S. All my previous beers have been with ale yeasts, and this is my first lager yeast (only 4 ales under my belt). Perhaps this is why I have a different look to this beer (floaters and a slick 'skin'). There are no 'spider' threads though, which seems common for a properly infected beer, so...

Scott

Latest posts

Back