Help! I need to store grain and rice in a moisture free envmnt and in a food safe....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
OK, I need to store grain and rice for long periods of time....can I go to lowes and buy a garbage can or do I need something more food grade. If so, what? thanks guys.

Garbage cans work fine. If it might be exposed to varmits a metal can with the grain inside trash bags works too. So will 5 gal plastic buckets and attached lids

5 or 6 gal Food grade plastic buckets and "Gama seal " lids with some mylar heat seal or vacuum seal baggies should set you up well. If its humid throw in a few desiccant packs. How long do you need to store them for ? 6 months , 12 months, till SHTF in 2012 ? ;)

Jens

5 or 6 gal Food grade plastic buckets and "Gama seal " lids with some mylar heat seal or vacuum seal baggies should set you up well. If its humid throw in a few desiccant packs. How long do you need to store them for ? 6 months , 12 months, till SHTF in 2012 ? ;)

Jens

ha ha, well that's it you hit it, when the shtf is the plan. The wife, (Asian) who once grew the freaking rice says it can keep 5-7 years in proper environment. So, now I look for desiccant packs. ty!

Bugs are what you're mostly worried about, at least with grain. My folks used to use a chunk of dry ice in a sealable bucket lined with a plastic bag. Put the dry ice in then the bag of grain/rice, leave the lid unsealed for a few hours until the dry ice has evaporated completely and then seal it up. That replaces the oxygen in the bucket with CO2 so the bugs can't live in there with the grain, since CO2 is heavier than air it just pushes the air out the top.

Information on how to preserve grains with dry ice

Back