First all grain biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
Someone here provided this for a recipe:

SMASH
Maris Otter and Amarillo. 5US gallon
3.8kg Maris Otter(will give you an OG of 1048)
about 30 IBUs of Amarillo at 60
then an oz each at 15,10,5 and another oz to dry hop with.

I plugged it in to the calc based on the approx alcohol% I'd like to achieve.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1601650/home-brew/smash

I'm doing BIAB for the first time. He suggested Marris Otter, however my supplier claims to have Marris Otter but then beside it reads "English 2 Row"

Is 60 15 10 5 a constant boil after I've done 60 min conversion? I'll be doing a bit more reading before I begin. So pardon if I'm missing anything.

Do I simply convert, measure, boil, cool, measure?

Thanks

Marris Otter is English 2 row. It's good :)

With all grain you are always going to boil for an hour at least. Hop schedule is another story. I don't know much about hops but haven't heard of amarillo for bittering (boil for 60 minutes). I hear is it a wonderful flavor and aroma hop though.

Love your question: "Do I simply convert, measure, boil, cool, measure?" You make it sound simple! What are you going to use to mash the grains and have you decided on the temp you will use to convert?

Edit: actually I'm not familiar with BIAB. I have mashed in a pot and I have mashed in a bag inside a cooler... So I think it is similar. But I don't get the BIAB philosophy.. it's all mashing to me.

Your 60 minute hop schedule starts when your wort starts boiling, I usually wait till the hot break (when the foam starts rising) and after a few mins and it settles I make my first hop addition.

BIAB is awesome! I started this a few months ago and I love it. I do sparge in a seperate pot and squeeze the piss out of the bag. Good luck with your brew.

Ok cool. So I'll do a 60 min conversion and take a measurement and see if it needs more time.

What's the strike temp for a 5gal? 165F? It's strike temp right? haha, I can't wait to giver

Everything is going done in a 10gal boilermaker. Once the grains are in I'm wrapping the pot up in a big wool blankey and strappin er down yee haww!!!

Probably 1.5 liters per pound of grain. You should google round bout this, or pick up a manual. I don't measure the water but just think the less water (tight mash) the more ferment able your malt. More water in the mash means more body.

I do full volume BIAB. I usually use about 7.5-8 gallons of water for a 5 gallon recipe,.mash in the pot for 60 minutes (try 150-154, warmer for more mouthfeel and sweetness, cooler for dryer like I believe an apa should be). Heat to 170 for 10 minutes, pull out the bag and squeeze like heck as you are getting the heat on the pot to boiling. Once boiling, add your 60 minute addition and go from there.

The hops in your recipe in the original post (except for the dry hops) go into the boil after the conversion. In other words, when you are done steeping, bring to a full boil, then start your 60 minute counter, etc.

Put the first hop addition in right when the boil starts and start your timer for 60 minutes and then continue with the other hop additions as the timer counts down

Back