pumping strike water through ball valve of mash kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I'm about to take the next step and add a pump to my system. If I were to pump my strike water into my my Coleman cooler type mash tun through the ball valve and bazooka tube with the grains already in there, would this cause serious clumping? In my mind I'm picturing a very steady rise in the water level, evenly soaking all the grains. I'm sure someone has tried this, and I'm curious what your experience with this is.

I always underlet my grain bed. I never get dough balls. I take about 10 minutes to fill the cooler and I think that the slow water rise does exactly what you describe.

It should be fine. You can always give it a stir to make sure when you hit your volume. It will also help to take an accurately mixed temp reading. If the grain is packed enough, the grain may float as you pump. Either way a bit of stirring is usually in order.

Are you planning on batch or fly sparging? I've thought about doing this, but have yet to try. I use rectangular coolers for mash tuns. I've done both types of sparging, as well as a recirculated mash and have had trouble with dough balls on occasion. Interested in seeing the different ways that this could be done.

Back