Moving my beer back upstairs bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
Hey all I am doing my first bottling session next Saturday and am finalizing my arrangements. My beer spent it's first 10 days hanging out in my DR the sticky thermometer read between 64-67 degrees the whole time and it reached FG about a week in. Last week I started a new batch and had to relocate the first batch to the basement for domestic reasons. it has been hovering at around 56-58 for the last week. As I get ready to bottle when should I move the beer back upstairs. I plan on carbing it upstairs I just wasn't sure if I should give it a day or to to acclimate.

Also a carbing question. This is a German wheat beer. Is their any increased danger with me adding additional sugars to carb it at between 3-3.5 volumes? If it makes a difference I am using 12 oz bottles and a crown caper but could get a bench caper if needed.

TIA
Ray

Once the beer is bottled it would be a good idea to move it to a warmer climate to prevent the yeast from remaining dormant. I would say put them upstairs right away. As far as the carbonation level, if the beer fermented out to completion, adding additional sugar for a higher level of carbonation is no problem. But, if there is any residual sugars remaining in the beer (under-attenuated) adding additional sugar could over carb the beer. I would also suggest weighing the sugar accurately for precise carbonation.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

www.thebackyardbrewer.com

I personally would never go above 3 vols. for a standard brown beer bottle. I did a Belgian Dubbel @ 2.8 vols. and that was spritzy enough for most any beer style, IMO.

Once the beer is bottled it would be a good idea to move it to a warmer climate to prevent the yeast from remaining dormant. I would say put them upstairs right away. As far as the carbonation level, if the beer fermented out to completion, adding additional sugar for a higher level of carbonation is no problem. But, if there is any residual sugars remaining in the beer (under-attenuated) adding additional sugar could over carb the beer. I would also suggest weighing the sugar accurately for precise carbonation.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

www.thebackyardbrewer.com

I weigh everything. I doa lot of bread baking.

Back