How do I slow fermentation to prevent blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
Brewed an IIPA with OG of 1.088 -- Double pitched White 005.

Woke up this AM to a clogged airlock and I manually vented just in time to prevent a mess. Replaced airlock with a 3/8in blowoff tube and went to work. Came home and it's blown out again -- lots of mess.

I have it sitting a a tub full of cool water with the 3/8 blowoff back on but it doesn't look like it wants to slow down. What else can I do?

Also,

I've lost several cups of krausen -- will that effect the final product?

you have three options and none guarantees anything.

1. start with a blow off tube
2. Ferment at a cooler temp
3. Use a larger fermenter

You have nothing to worry about with losing krausen. That's what blow-off tubes are for.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything. Let the yeasties do their thing and just keep vigilant on sanitation. Judging by your description it should start slowing down soon anyway.

Also, did you leave ample headspace to allow for the krausen to rise or are you doing a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy ;)

Yea I was thinking there want much I could do. Thanks for the replies.

So is there anything else I should do after a blowout other than basic sanitation? Theres krausen caked all in the inside too - shake it down or leave it?

Fermcap works great for most yeasts, but Belgians don't seem to take much notice of it.

Whenever I ferment in the low 60s I have no issues with krausen blow off. In fact I never use a blow off tube unless I know I'm fermenting hot.

But when I do use a tube I use a BIG one. That helps.

Whenever I ferment in the low 60s I have no issues with krausen blow off. In fact I never use a blow off tube unless I know I'm fermenting hot.

But when I do use a tube I use a BIG one. That helps.

I just did a stout, and not a big one, OG 1.056. Blew off like crazy at 64 degrees. Sometime the yeast just goes crazy.

I always start any brew I do with a blow off tube.... ....... Much easier than mopping the ceiling.

I always start any brew I do with a blow off tube.... ....... Much easier than mopping the ceiling.

+1

They aren't significantly harder to setup than an airlock. I don't see a reason not to start with a blowoff.

If I have less than a full gallon worth of headspace, I fit the bung with a blow-off tube. Within a week, the airlock replaces it. Better to not need the tube, but have it installed, than need it and have to scramble for it. Of course, I ferment at a buddy's place, in his basement which has a drain in the floor. :rockin: There's only one ring where one of my fermenters sat so far. I am glad I set the blow-off tube on Friday evening (or was it Saturday morning) after pitching the yeast. It was in full swing in less than 12 hours (more like 8). Foam coming out of the StarSan bottle. I do so love it when a starter does it's job. :rockin:

From what I've put together, the only REAL way to control your fermenting temp is with an actual fermentation chamber. I do plan on building one when I get the chance. It will probably be next year by the time that happens though. I hope to have it online and ready come mid-spring time. Especially if I've moved by then (fingers crossed)...

BTW, I simply push 5/16" ID vinyl tubing into the airlock hole (airlock removed) for a blow-off tube. I don't try to force it into the airlock or anything like that. For glass carboys (I use those for mead) I have tubing that is the size that fits in the neck directly. For mead, that's probably a better idea.

you have three options and none guarantees anything.

1. start with a blow off tube
2. Ferment at a cooler temp
3. Use a larger fermenter

4) Ferment under pressure. Of course, the OP doesn't ferment in pressure vessels, but that's the forth option. Doesn't prevent krausen, but decreases it's height and vigor similar to a lower temperature fermentation.

It's calmed down this AM and I replaced the airlock.

I'll definitely be using Fermcap and a blowoff from the beginning next time I do another big beer.

And it's a 5 gal batch in a 6 or 6.5 gallon carboy. It was just a mean mean fermentation. The blowoff looked like a motorboat :D

Latest posts

Back