Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
O.K, here's the deal. I have a 5gal batch of mead that is done fermenting at 1.030. I'm not around to taste it, and won't be until December. My wife says it's sweet like a desert wine. The mead needs to be done by Feb. I started the batch in May with a little confusion on the starting gravity. I used about 17# of honey though. I used the Wyeast 4186 Sweet Mead Yeast. I did the nutrient additions and have racked it to a secondary about a month ago. The wife says it taste good, but really sweet. I'm not sure if I should risk ruining this batch and just keep the mead as it is.

I would like to dry it out some, but not too much. Is it to late to do that? Would it ruin the batch? What yeast would you recommend, and if I did would it clear and be good before Feb?

You will get the most predictable and controllable result if you start a new batch and make it bone dry, then blend in with the sweet batch. Doing anything with it may prevent it from being ready by February - sweeter batches are often more drinkable at a young age.

That actually sounds good! When would you blend them?
When the dry batch is fermented..........

Which, if you run the ferment correctly, could be ready in 6 to 8 weeks. Your only real problem is that you'd probably have to use finings etc to clear the new, dry batch in a hurry.

I can't think of any reason why it should matter though...... as the idea is to have it clear and ready to go come Feb.......

regards

fatbloke

Back