Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So im not a huge gamer but ive loved fallout and oblivion. What other rpgs for ps3 would yall recommend that are similar?

Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas :D TES and Fallout series' of games are really the only games I really get into anymore. I've been playing both since their originals. Check out Morrowind too. It came out in 01 or 02 so any computer should be able to handle it these days. Everything Oblivion was without the annoying portals.

So far lvl 12 in Skyrim. I got it on the release day but haven't had nearly enough time to play. I start a three day weekend tomorrow and I've already told SWMBO not to expect me get anything done, or put on pants for that matter. :rockin:

Awesome game though! Definitely surpasses the previous TES games IMO.

acuenca said:
So im not a huge gamer but ive loved fallout and oblivion. What other rpgs for ps3 would yall recommend that are similar?

The dragon age games are pretty good.

Got it yesterday, but haven't had time to install and play it. I doubt I'll do more than check it out. I just don't have time to play video games much. I mostly do WoW because my friends are on and it's time to spend together over the internet.

I got Skyrim on Saturday, played it for 12 hours straight on Sunday. Got my guy to level 8. I was studying at the magic college, but then there was a dude out in the field and he wouldn't slow down to talk so I stuck him with an arrow and now everyone at the damn college is trying to kill me. And all my gear is in the dorm.

I got Skyrim on Saturday, played it for 12 hours straight on Sunday. Got my guy to level 8. I was studying at the magic college, but then there was a dude out in the field and he wouldn't slow down to talk so I stuck him with an arrow and now everyone at the damn college is trying to kill me. And all my gear is in the dorm.

That is SOOOOO funny!

Should have been a youtube video!

Ha, that sucks...

I was doing the Thalmor Embassy quest last night where you have to give all the gear you want smuggled in to this place to this elf - key word being "all". I didn't think to give him any potions and my dude kept getting slaughtered by the guards. Had to revert to a previous save point on that one.

Have leveled up 2-3 times since then and crafted some better armor/weapons, so when I go back in, sh*t is gonna be ugly.

My stupid horse keeps attacking everything that moves. It even climbed 3 flights of stairs to stomp an archer shooting at me. Kinda funny, but also annoying.

_

Just installed last night. Not too bad, but I was sore all over like I had a fever, but no headache or any other symptoms, so I only played about 3/4 the way through level 1.

It's hard to get back into a single players game after so many years of WoW. I find the menu system pretty crappy, TBH.

My stupid horse keeps attacking everything that moves. It even climbed 3 flights of stairs to stomp an archer shooting at me. Kinda funny, but also annoying.

_

I was attacked and almost killed by someone's horse after helping save Honningbrew Meadery from a Dragon attack.

I was on my way back from Valtheim Towers headed to Whiterun when the dragon attacked, there were a few guards around to help me bring the dragon down after maybe 5-10 minutes had taken enough health from the dragon that when it landed i pulled out a sword for each hand and charged right at it for the death strike. Not a second after the dragon was dead i was getting chased and kicked in the head by a stupid horse.

My girlfriend was laughing, "You just killed that dragon but that horse is going to kill you...REAL BADASS!"

In the end, i killed the horse and continued to Whiterun to collect my bounty, but it was still pretty hilarious.:rockin:

My first horse was attacked by a dragon not five minutes after I bought him. Horse ended up living, but the dragon died.

Smithing is probably the only reason I don't have anywhere near 100,000 gold yet, but it's also the first skill I have gotten to 100. Looting more junk weapons and armor now, just because one ingot can upgrade them to (Legendary) and maybe a basic enchantment makes them worth a good bit more. Smithing isn't something I thought I would be remotely interested in, either.

Unfortunately I just bought this today... I can see I'm going to have to learn to get by on much less sleep.

I've had something weird happening when I play this game.
Last night was a perfect example. I sat down to play at 8:00, played for about an hour, shut the game off, glanced at the clock, and it was midnight!!
I think it may be causing some kind of a time warp or something. Has this happened to any of you while playing?

Happens to me with mw3 or black ops. Woke up at about 8. Turned on mw3 and bam its 1230 in about 20 mins.

Yes, I did experience this. I turned it on, went through the opening section at about 10pm, ran around the landscape a little, then I played the bleak falls barrow dungeon before I heard the wife say "sweetie are you even going to go to bed tonight?" She had gotten up to pee and it was 4:45 am. Never have I had a game zone me that hard.

I'm also addicted! This is a great game.

Whoever was going to run this on a dual core computer with a 4670 graphics card, do it. It will be smooth on medium settings. I turned my computer on the other day to find out that a metal fan control knob had fallen and was dangling and leaning against the back of my graphics card. It shorted out my graphics card and fried it...Now I'm playing this on medium settings with the ati hd4200 integrated graphics. It's pretty smooth and playable, just not very pretty.

This game definitely warps time! I saved the game at about midnight to go to bet after losing 4 hours of my day. I looked at the clock and it was 2:30am. 8 to 2:30 and then my children decided to wake up at 5:30...

My first horse was attacked by a dragon not five minutes after I bought him. Horse ended up living, but the dragon died.

Smithing is probably the only reason I don't have anywhere near 100,000 gold yet, but it's also the first skill I have gotten to 100. Looting more junk weapons and armor now, just because one ingot can upgrade them to (Legendary) and maybe a basic enchantment makes them worth a good bit more. Smithing isn't something I thought I would be remotely interested in, either.

So have you noticed that because you quick-leveled Smithing like that, that the game difficulty scaled up with you? Have heard lots of people complaining about stuff like that... like they quickly got smithing up to 100 but then got demolished by a frost troll because their character had no combat skills...

*edit* I was thinking about this more and I see how it could go wrong: if you were to do nothing but smith up to lvl 100, you'd have however many character levels worth of perks to spend - but the only skill you could spend them on would be smithing. So then you have to go out and actually use the other skills (combat, etc.) to be able to spend the rest of the perks you may have earned and not used.

I didn't even realize this was available for the PC, but it's just as well. My mid-grade desktop is a fossil from the dark ages of early 2009.

PS3 version is a little glitchy at times, but not nearly enough to ruin the experience.

I'm a level 20 mage/warrior hybrid and I just put the soul trap enchantment on my exquisite dwarvish war axe. My soul gems are never empty. Problem is I end up spending all my gold on soul gems. Anyone know some good quests for making money?

bernerbrau said:
PS3 version is a little glitchy at times, but not nearly enough to ruin the experience.

That's what I'm playing. Occasionally I'll come across a moose that's stuck in a rock or something like that, but that's about as bad as it gets. I figure there's so incredibly much going on in the landscape that kind of thing is bound to happen. Fallout games were the same.

That's what I'm playing. Occasionally I'll come across a moose that's stuck in a rock or something like that, but that's about as bad as it gets. I figure there's so incredibly much going on in the landscape that kind of thing is bound to happen. Fallout games were the same.

Last weekend I got stuck in a rock, and the whole game actually froze up on me once. Fortunately I had saved recently both times.

Other than that the framerate occasionally will drop to a dead stop for a couple seconds. But that's relatively rare.

bernerbrau said:
Last weekend I got stuck in a rock, and the whole game actually froze up on me once. Fortunately I had saved recently both times.

Other than that the framerate occasionally will drop to a dead stop for a couple seconds. But that's relatively rare.

I've had to learn the hard way about being diligent with saving on this game. I just finished Mass Effect 2, where it really nannys you through the game with autosaves. I've not saved for hours, had the game freeze, thought "crap!", restarted the system and there I was at the last autosave. This one is not so kind.

I almost want to restart this game, as I'm not that far into it. I don't think the norse was the best choice... and when I went on the tree sap mission the guy who wanted to come along died somewhere along the way and I didn't notice. What a wimp...

I was at like level 12 when I did the tree sap quest and my companion still kept dying. Those hags are a pain. Warding spells and a lot of luck help.

The trouble is the rewards for that quest aren't so great.

So have you noticed that because you quick-leveled Smithing like that, that the game difficulty scaled up with you? Have heard lots of people complaining about stuff like that... like they quickly got smithing up to 100 but then got demolished by a frost troll because their character had no combat skills...

*edit* I was thinking about this more and I see how it could go wrong: if you were to do nothing but smith up to lvl 100, you'd have however many character levels worth of perks to spend - but the only skill you could spend them on would be smithing. So then you have to go out and actually use the other skills (combat, etc.) to be able to spend the rest of the perks you may have earned and not used.

To a small extent, but having decent weapons and armor helped. I did have to do other stuff to get the resources to smith, either loot or money to buy them.

I pretty much never walked into a town without being close to my and my companions max carry weight of skins, armor, weapons, and scrap metal.

If you kill enough wildlife to get the skins, your one handed or two handed skill will go up so you will be able to do more damage. That's what I've been doing and I rarely have a problem with any opposition...other than this giant I have a contract for..

If you kill enough wildlife to get the skins, your one handed or two handed skill will go up so you will be able to do more damage. That's what I've been doing and I rarely have a problem with any opposition...other than this giant I have a contract for..

Where are you finding enough wildlife to make it worth your while? I mean I'll run into like the odd fox, goat, rabbit, or the occasional bear, but I never see enough to bother hanging around one place and hunt to level up.

Trying to chase down a deer with a two handed weapon is folly. I get an archery level up occasionally, but it's not like there's big herds of animals you can just plow into ;)

I'm hooked hence my absence from HBT. Level 29 playing on expert. I made a "rule" for myself that made it go from a crack-like game experience to a heroin experience. No fast traveling at all, only fast transport I'll use is the carriages. I've gone through most of the dark brotherhood questline, and a fair chunk of the college. The Daedric quests are awesome! I highly recommend checking all the bars in all the towns for a guy who challenges you to a drinking contest. My buddy found him in a different bar than me so I think the bar is random. Keep drinking when you're prompted. Also, go to Solitude and talk to the crazy homeless guy who asks you to help bring his friend or master back. Two most awesome quests I've done so far!

Man I'm only on level 11... stupid family and job...

I know dude... I'm freaking exhausted... I've been burning the midnight oil trying to get through some of these quests AND help with a 7 week old AND take care of the wife/house/job whatev... exhausted... I need to sleep. This game is the bomb though.. I'm on PS3 too... freaking awesome game....

Was with my brother this weekend. Brought this game and had him get started. We stayed up until 4 AM two nights in a row. He managed to get through the golden claw quest and I showed him how to smith stuff. After that, I told him, "Congratulations, you just completed an extremely minor sidequest."

I'm pretty sure I've done my duty as codependent enabler.

The Daedric quests are awesome! I highly recommend checking all the bars in all the towns for a guy who challenges you to a drinking contest. My buddy found him in a different bar than me so I think the bar is random. Keep drinking when you're prompted. Also, go to Solitude and talk to the crazy homeless guy who asks you to help bring his friend or master back. Two most awesome quests I've done so far!
Wabbajack! Wabbajack! Wabbajack! Wabbajack!

It's definitely sweet but it's not without its issues. It's kind of lame that they got rid of the traditional RPG stats completely in favor of only skill stats. Also incredibly lame that there's nowhere in the menu to even see and inspect your character. Also, I can see why they got rid of athletics and all that, but it's lame that you character now always jumps and moves the same regardless of level.

I wouldn't mind having a little more expansion on the stats, but at least you don't have to restrict your actions to those that benefit the stats you're trying to increase any more.

I wouldn't mind having a little more expansion on the stats, but at least you don't have to restrict your actions to those that benefit the stats you're trying to increase any more.

Agreed. It definitely does make for better leveling. Oblivion was a pain in the ass in that regard.

I loves Skyrim. Only two real issues are that enchanting takes way too long, and I really miss being able to make my own spells.

Dragons could be a little tougher. Once you're beefed up and have their fighting style down they're push overs.

My favorite weapon is the sword Dawnbreaker you get once you meet Meridia. Nothing like an epic magical explosion that destroys all the undead in an area. Although, it also shatters somethings, and sends others flying....like those metal dragon claws/keys, that you need to spend 20+ minutes looking for because the shock wave and debris sent it flying.

Even with the bugs it's definitely a fantastic game. And the scenery, the game never looks bad.

I agree with you on the dragons... I will usually just shoot a few arrows at them, then when they land beat them unmerciful with a two-handed sword. I've only died once fighting them.

Back