Beer Tasting Party and Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
This was from a party we just had last weekend. Our annual Beer Bash - A Celebration of Beer Party. This year we did a whole hog and had over 60 different beers for sampling. It is quite INFORMAL. We do tastings based on what shows up to the party. Considering our remote location in Northern Minnesota. I think we had a good selection and we did a great job of introducing 'good' or 'better' beer to the BMC crowd. We asked our guests to bring one six pack of "Craftbrew, Microbrew, or Homebrew" and much to my surprise, of the 60+ different beers we had, only 1 six pack was Bud (Bud Light Lime)

--Disclaimer--
Here are the Results of the impromptu tasting. Again, we just put these together with what showed up at the party. And while the results weren't unamimous, I think these were the consensus of the people that tried each style.

Order of preference beneath each photo

IPA
DSC01275.jpg

#1-Two Hearted, #2-Odells, #3-Inversion (Deschutes), #4-Mojo, #5-Scurvy
Very close between #1 - #2 for the group (about 6 people)

Amber Ale
DSC01276.jpg

#1 - Bells, #2 - Full Sail, #3 - Fat Tire, #4 - Black Dog
Group = 8, Black Dog had 1 STRONG vote for #1, but Bells was clear winner

Wheat
DSC01281.jpg

#1 - 312 (Goose Island), #2 - My Hombrew, #3 - Celis White, #4 - Jackwhacker, #5 - Shock Top
Group = 8
I was proud my homebrew was near the top, but I personally preferred the Celes. Note: My Wheat recently won a Bronze Medal in our MN State Fair Homebrew contest.

Stout
DSC01286.jpg

#1 - Goose Island, #2 - My Homebrew, #3 - Kalamazoo(Bells), #4 - Black Widow
Group = 6
Another good showing for the homebrew. It received a few 1st place votes. The Black Widow had 1 strong proponent for a 1st place vote. It had a sour taste to me, but drinkable.

We had great compliments and thanks for providing an experience to try several beers. It really is a fun way to sample several beers of the same style.

This is pretty cool. I would love to do this but all my friends (except for one) are cheap bastards that drink BMC and would never spend $8-$15 on a sixer.

And to think, I think nothing of spending $15 on a 22 or my latest, $10 on a 12oz. OUCH

Back