wanting to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seekinganswers82

Reaction score
Hello,

I have only recently discovered beer brewing from home but I have become very interested. I never did any research before because I never thought I could ever do something like this - brew my own beer. But the more I researched and discovered forums like these, the more confidence I gain that I will be able to do this. With that said, I have a few questions.

I wanted to purchase this starter kit: Amazon.com: Coopers Brewery DIY Beer Kit: Kitchen & Dining. what does everyone feel about this kit for a beginner and if you have any suggestions on a better kit.

I came across somewhere that beer has to be brewed at a certain temperature. I currently live in Washington state where it gets really cold. I turn off all the heat when I am off at work. Any suggestions on how to keep the brewing process at an ideal temperature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of kit options out there- personally, I would suggest checking out a local shop if you have one, see what they are offering (I found that my local shop gave a discount on an auto-siphon, knocked a few bucks off a carboy, threw in a pint glass, discounted star-san, etc). And you can see options there as well, build your own recipe, and get hooked before you light the first burner!

Long story short, everyone starts off differently, it seems.

As for temperature- I live in CO, and have two batches fermenting in a plastic storage tub of water with an aquarium heater, worked well. Fermentation is exothermic, so it will warm the water (or air if no bath) a bit, I would monitor temps in your fermenting area and see where it falls.

Welcome, and good luck!
DK

If you wrap the fermenter in heavy towels, or such, it should help to maintain it's internal temperature while you're at work. The yeast will stay active, and generate their own heat. You might actually like the results you get from having them ferment in the cooler end of their range.

I would also second going to a LHBS with a solid reputation. IMO, the cooper's kit is not a good way to start. Well, other than giving you your initial fermenter and maybe some other items you can use. I wouldn't use the PET bottles if it was me, glass only.

You can start off with just about any kit you want, for hardware, and get good/decent brew early on. It's as you refine your processes, methods, recipes, etc. that you'll start getting GREAT brew.

If you can hold off a little longer, you should be able to attend one of the National Home Brew day events (typically people brewing on display) in your area. That would be a solid place to go and pick the brains of people that have been brewing for a while (or longer). You'll also be able to check out how different people brew. I've yet to see anyone brew the same way, or with the same hardware. Sure, you'll have similar elements, or see some items repeated, but most of the time, the rigs/setups are rather different. I have a much different hardware setup than my brew-buddy does. Even though we both brew all grain, and use mash tuns and even propane burners now.

Have you gone down to Jim's Home Brew Supplies down on Division (near Buckley, across from Staples and next to the Army Surplus store)? They have a couple of kits that you might like. The price range is like $80 to $200. They have a website so you can see what's included in the the kits (www.jimshomebrew.com). They also have a bunch of recipes in a binder that you can choose from. When you see the one you like they pull all of the ingredients for you and give you a detailed list of instructions. I think they even give you the ingredients for your first brew when you buy a kit. Whatever you decide to do, you should check them out. They can point you in the right direction.

Back